Home » Support » 3D Design » blender: why can't I difference modify this?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
blender: why can't I difference modify this? [message #64465] Wed, 20 March 2013 03:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar prismspecs  is currently offline prismspecs
Go to all my models
Check the file attached. Why can't I do a Boolean modify: difference to cut the little shape out of the big shape?

Re: blender: why can't I difference modify this? [message #64473 is a reply to message #64465 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 07:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Because the normals on your outer shape are not correct. Select the outer shape, go to Edit, select all vertices and then on the menu to the left, Mesh Tools, click on Normals: Recalculate.

If you are trying to hollow the object you will have to move the inner object down a bit or at least its lower vertices other wise the Boolean will just create a void in the larger shape.

For hollowing another approach is to delete all the bottom faces of the shape and then use the Solidify Modifier.

Good luck
Re: blender: why can't I difference modify this? [message #64505 is a reply to message #64473 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hmm neither of those methods worked for me. Here is another simpler model I'm working on. I want to punch a cylinder half way~ into the triangle.

Re: blender: why can't I difference modify this? [message #64509 is a reply to message #64505 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Once again your normals are wrong on the prism.
Re: blender: why can't I difference modify this? [message #64511 is a reply to message #64509 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I figured as much. However, employing the technique of selecting all verts in edit mode and clicking recalculate normals did not fix it.
Re: blender: why can't I difference modify this? [message #64512 is a reply to message #64511 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:36 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
PLus the geometry of your prism is odd. You seem to have overlapping faces, duplicate vertices and unnecessary diagonals. The prism only needs to be 3 rectangles and 2 triangles.

Remove doubles (vertices).
Remove the diagonal edges.
CHeck the normals.
Try again, should work

[Updated on: Wed, 20 March 2013 18:44 UTC]

Previous Topic:Best way to design a hexagon with increasing angles on sides?
Next Topic:Shapeways doesn't like this model, any idea what's wrong with it?