Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » STL to STP converting?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
STL to STP converting? [message #64501] Wed, 20 March 2013 17:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar Delvyn  is currently offline Delvyn
Go to my shop
Hello there!

I´m looking for someone who can convert STL files into the STP (STEP) format. I need to let someone print me two models with CAD / CNC technique, but I´ve heard that it is a very hard task. So unfortunately because I dont have any CAD programs I cant do it.

Is here someone who could help me out?

Greetings,
Delvyn
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64502 is a reply to message #64501 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 17:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Hi please email, your files to info@dotsan.com and I'll have a look at them for you?
Regards
Vijay

www.dotsan.com
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64503 is a reply to message #64502 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 17:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
One moment.
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64507 is a reply to message #64501 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Aside from your conversion endeavors, I'd just like to add that I've never run into CAM software, for generating CNC tool paths, that cannot import STL format. Also, if you're going to have something 3D printed, STL format (which, stands for stereolithography) was specifically created for 3D printing.

Yes, It is very difficult to convert STL to STEP depending on the complexity of the STL files. Very simple STL files can be converted automatically, but more complex files will need manual attention. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64508 is a reply to message #64507 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
UniverseBecoming wrote on Wed, 20 March 2013 18:13

Aside from your conversion endeavors, I'd just like to add that I've never run into CAM software, for generating CNC tool paths, that cannot import STL format. Also, if you're going to have something 3D printed, STL format (which, stands for stereolithography) was specifically created for 3D printing.

Yes, It is very difficult to convert STL to STEP depending on the complexity of the STL files. Very simple STL files can be converted automatically, but more complex files will need manual attention. Smile

Thank you for these informations. I could let it all print here over Shapeways, but as I want it made out of an iron / steel material, the models would cost too much for me. I have the possibility to let it print via CAD/CNC from someone I know over at his work, and that would cost me half of the price that Shapeways want for it. That´s the only reason I´m trying to "fight" these converting problems Very Happy
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64510 is a reply to message #64508 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I see! I see! Very Happy

Yeah, it can be awfully expensive for larger items to be 3D printed in metals, so I can understand wanting to go with CNC. =)

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64513 is a reply to message #64501 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
By the way, I forgot to tell something:

I already have the files in STEP format. But they are WAAAAY oversized! I converted them with the freeware program "InStep". The converted files could be read by my friends CNC machine, but the models were overscaled by the factor 1:25.4 or 0.03937. Maybe if someone has the possibility to RESIZE existing STEP files, I could need there help, too! This would be my last hope, I guess...
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64515 is a reply to message #64513 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 19:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I didn't know about that InStep software. I'll have to try it out.

To do your own scaling you can get Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0. It's free. Very Happy

Your friend should be able to scale those for you. I find it strange that they are running a CNC machine center and can't scale your STEP files.

Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64518 is a reply to message #64515 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
UniverseBecoming wrote on Wed, 20 March 2013 19:45

I didn't know about that InStep software. I'll have to try it out.

To do your own scaling you can get Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0. It's free. Very Happy

Your friend should be able to scale those for you. I find it strange that they are running a CNC machine center and can't scale your STEP files.

Thanks for the name!

Yes, really weird. He works at a giant european manufacturing, and he uses CATIA 5. But he says they cant resize models... hmm.
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64524 is a reply to message #64513 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 20:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ronsaki  is currently offline Ronsaki
Go to my shop
Delvyn wrote on Wed, 20 March 2013 18:40

I already have the files in STEP format. But they are WAAAAY oversized! I converted them with the freeware program "InStep". The converted files could be read by my friends CNC machine, but the models were overscaled by the factor 1:25.4 or 0.03937. Maybe if someone has the possibility to RESIZE existing STEP files, I could need there help, too! This would be my last hope, I guess...

This was simply inch<->mm conversion mistake (1inch=25.4mm). Stl format has it's own 'measurement unit' called "units". You are the one who has to 'define' units.

That's why when uploading at shapeways you have to choose unit in which was model made.

Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64525 is a reply to message #64524 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ronsaki wrote on Wed, 20 March 2013 20:53

Delvyn wrote on Wed, 20 March 2013 18:40

This was simply inch<->mm conversion mistake (1inch=25.4mm). Stl format has it's own 'measurement unit' called "units". You are the one who has to 'define' units.

That's why when uploading at shapeways you have to choose unit in which was model made.

Yes, but I dont know how I can change the units with the programs that I have. I think the problem into converting the files into the STEP format lies with the freeware programm "InStep". And I dont know where I can adjust the exact options.
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64526 is a reply to message #64525 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ronsaki  is currently offline Ronsaki
Go to my shop
Send me step file on ronsaki1@hotmail.com. I have access to Catia V5 in University so I will give it a shot.
Re: STL to STP converting? [message #64528 is a reply to message #64526 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 22:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Try Inventor Fusion it's free. http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/fusion

It will Open all of the files in the top image and save them to the files in the bottom image.

index.php?t=getfile&id=29395&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:need a file made
Next Topic:Looking to create a model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.