Home »  » It arrived! » BSG ViperMK2 model and heart ring
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
BSG ViperMK2 model and heart ring [message #6431] Fri, 11 September 2009 11:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar lorddarthvik  is currently offline lorddarthvik
Go to my shop
Hi there!

My new 1/72 scale Viper MK2 model just arrived, along with my heart ring design. Both came out great in white detail material. I'm still waiting for the ring in stainless steel, I hope it turns out just as well as these did!

Sorry about the very low quality of the pictures, I had to take it with my phones camera. Oh, and thats a AAA size battery in the background for some size comparison!

index.php?t=getfile&id=1310&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1311&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1312&private=0

Edited to say that the quality of the details is fantastic, even the smallest detials are there, like the cockpit instruments, although one of the two joysticks is missing, it probably broke off.

• Attachment: Order3p1.jpg
    (Size: 190.50KB, Downloaded 597 time(s))

• Attachment: Order3p2.jpg
    (Size: 116.26KB, Downloaded 586 time(s))

• Attachment: Order3p3.jpg
    (Size: 174.06KB, Downloaded 615 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 11 September 2009 11:45 UTC]

Re: BSG ViperMK2 model and heart ring [message #6455 is a reply to message #6431 ] Sat, 12 September 2009 03:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coines23  is currently offline coines23
Go to my shop
Way cool!

Jeez, now I gotta make something that big...
Re: BSG ViperMK2 model and heart ring [message #6462 is a reply to message #6431 ] Sat, 12 September 2009 07:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TreadshotA1  is currently offline TreadshotA1
Go to my shop
I so wish this was for printing. There are so many things that could be done with it...

If you don't mind me asking, why 'not for printing'?

Quite obviously, i really like the design of the Viper MK2
Re: BSG ViperMK2 model and heart ring [message #6467 is a reply to message #6431 ] Sat, 12 September 2009 10:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The model I linked there was just uploaded for price testing, but on that upload you can see how the assembled model would look. The actual "for printing" model consists of multiple parts as you can see on the pic. I may make the ViperMK2 available for printing for all after I´ve finished assembling this test piece, as some things may need to be changed on the 3d model to better suit the assembly process.
Re: BSG ViperMK2 model and heart ring [message #6473 is a reply to message #6431 ] Sat, 12 September 2009 15:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tn_prvteye  is currently offline tn_prvteye
Go to all my models
Awesome stuff!! Are you planning on finishing/painting it? I received my own 1/72 model a few weeks ago and I'm having issues with the "layers" of the printing process. Really large gaps between the layers, specifically. Does the Viper have any?

And is your canopy solid or does it use thick walls? I ask because I was going to print out a mold for my canopy and vacu-form it. But if the transparent detail can be polished up really nice, I might do that instead.

Again, VERY cool Mk.2!
Re: BSG ViperMK2 model and heart ring [message #6497 is a reply to message #6431 ] Sun, 13 September 2009 10:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks all!
Some answers first:

Yes do want to finish the model by sticking it together and painting it, but I´m also at a loss how to start. With somekinda smoothing process maybe?
THe canopy is made of transparent detail material, with thick walls, 1-1,2mm thick. I´m not sure if I can polish it to be transparent enough though.

And finally, here are still low quality but better photos made with a camera. The finest details are still missing because of the quality though.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1346&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1348&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1349&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1350&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1351&private=0

• Attachment: VPmk2P1.jpg
    (Size: 356.46KB, Downloaded 514 time(s))

• Attachment: VPmk2P2.jpg
    (Size: 332.13KB, Downloaded 515 time(s))

• Attachment: VPmk2P6.jpg
    (Size: 426.90KB, Downloaded 519 time(s))

• Attachment: VPmk2P5.jpg
    (Size: 458.62KB, Downloaded 507 time(s))

• Attachment: VPmk2P9.jpg
    (Size: 257.08KB, Downloaded 512 time(s))

Re: BSG ViperMK2 model and heart ring [message #6852 is a reply to message #6497 ] Sun, 27 September 2009 16:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Kitty  is currently offline Kitty
Go to my shop
That viper of yours is a cool little ship.

I like the MK II design from the new series more than the MK I from the original series.
You should do it in 1:32 scale too so people can print a companion for their Revell MK I
And seperate the cockpit for a 1:32 version, so people can print it in transparent and light it up.
It would probably be cheaper than a GK in PU resin if you keep the wallthickness to a minimum Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 27 September 2009 17:01 UTC]

Previous Topic:Connected Cubes 2x2x2 by OSKAR
Next Topic:AMazeRing and AMazeRing Tower

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.