Home » Support » 3D Printing » Need help with print parts orientation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need help with print parts orientation [message #64225] Fri, 15 March 2013 23:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar Strangefate  is currently offline Strangefate
Go to my shop
Hey,

I printed this figure ( https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6427480/SB/SBjoint.jpg ) some week ago (was done and delivered fast!) in white strong and flexible polished.

It looked a lot better than expected to be honest and I noticed that on top of the shoulder pads there were some of the print lines or stepping, where as the rest of the figure was rather perfect.

As I complete the figure I'm starting to think about how I'll arrange the different parts for printing. The logical thing to do seems to align all the pieces horizontally and connect them to a frame (like your typical model kits).

What I don't know is how the figure was printed the first time and which direction will more likely cause steps. The figure as you can see is full of soft curvature which probably screams stepping.

So my question I guess is whether there's less stepping if the parts are aligned horizontally or vertically. My mind tells me that horizontal surfaces should be more of a problem, but I don't really know.

Thanks for any clarification.

Re: Need help with print parts orientation [message #64226 is a reply to message #64225 ] Fri, 15 March 2013 23:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You can't select orientation.
Re: Need help with print parts orientation [message #64229 is a reply to message #64226 ] Sat, 16 March 2013 00:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm aware of that, but the arrangement of parts should decide how they print it.
If you're printing a sheet of paper it will most likely be printed horizontally, and likewise, how you arrange the frame and the components within should determine how the whole sheet should be printed.
Re: Need help with print parts orientation [message #64231 is a reply to message #64229 ] Sat, 16 March 2013 01:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Not really, you can find models printed in the most creative ways. Rotated items by 3 degrees or "paper sheets" printed vertically. What decides the arrangement is maximum usage of build volume.
Re: Need help with print parts orientation [message #64248 is a reply to message #64229 ] Sat, 16 March 2013 10:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Strangefate wrote on Sat, 16 March 2013 00:17

I'm aware of that, but the arrangement of parts should decide how they print it.
If you're printing a sheet of paper it will most likely be printed horizontally, and likewise, how you arrange the frame and the components within should determine how the whole sheet should be printed.

If you use this method you will also have to ensure that your 'sheet of paper' cannot be rotated in any direction, otherwise if the bounding box can be reduced by do so, it will be.

To illustrate, imagine you have a flat pendant with a loop for hanging attached, but which is oriented at 90 deg to the pendant and has a max dimension greater than the thickness of the pendant. You might orient this horizontally in your file, but SW would rotate this to reduce the effective height. In addition, depending on the aspect ratio of the piece they might also rotate the whole model around the normal to the pendant to reduce another of the BB dimensions.

I have a model as I just described and despite being essentially flat I got a print with stepping.
Re: Need help with print parts orientation [message #64255 is a reply to message #64248 ] Sat, 16 March 2013 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I want to thank you both for your time and trying to help but all I really need is the info on whether vertical or horizontal alignment is better.

How SW eventually chooses to orient a piece could be decided by the workers mood, but you're both indirectly telling me I can influence how it's printed based on bounding box efficiency, which again, is something I can influence by how I arrange the pieces to be printed.

My main concern is really just knowing which direction is more problematic for soft curves, so that I can orientate all the single pieces accordingly within the frame they'll be attached to, and lay out the frame so that it is hopefully more convenient to print in a certain direction.

In the end yes, I won't be there myself, but I'm sure logic will prevail and the orientation will not be based on the worker's mood.

thanks.

Re: Need help with print parts orientation [message #64256 is a reply to message #64255 ] Sat, 16 March 2013 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

My main concern is really just knowing which direction is more problematic for soft curves, so that I can orientate all the single pieces accordingly within the frame they'll be attached to, and lay out the frame so that it is hopefully more convenient to print in a certain direction.

My opinion is that if you can get your surfaces most likely to 'step' to be printed basically vertically then the results will be better. Just my opinion, though.

Quote:

In the end yes, I won't be there myself, but I'm sure logic will prevail and the orientation will not be based on the worker's mood.

I don't think anyone has suggested that the print volumes are filled in a capricious way, it's just that they try to maximise the printed material vs material to recycle within each run. If this means that something you think should be printed one way happens to fit in a different way in a given batch, then I think you may be disappointed. If you search the forum topics you will see that this is something that surfaces regularly: to my knowledge no real solution has yet been implemented.
Re: Need help with print parts orientation [message #64266 is a reply to message #64256 ] Sat, 16 March 2013 19:52 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
That's helpful, thanks a lot.

I understand the problem you describe, not much I can do about that part I guess.

I'll aim for a vertical arrangement and hope for the best from there.

Thanks again!

Previous Topic:Workflow: Sketchup in color on Mac
Next Topic:Silver sculpture

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.