Home » Support » 3D Printing » Workflow: Sketchup in color on Mac
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Workflow: Sketchup in color on Mac [message #64228] Sat, 16 March 2013 00:10 UTC
avatar Quixote  is currently offline Quixote
Go to my shop
Hoping someone could help me with a Sketchup workflow on my Mac., destined for color printing.

I've spent the last two years making models in Sketchup that I want to put into a Shapeways shop. The sketchup files upload to another site (sculpteo) no problem, and a third site (I.materialise) where they do some scale repair to the file and it is available in 24 hours. I'm using a few of the built-in texture files, but mostly the paint brush tools in Sketchup to color the model faces. And this is where everything seems to fall apart.

I can export the models to .kmz, and get the embedded dae file to view in blender, no problem (preview.app, too), with a texture folder holding about 17 jpgs. I can import the dae into meshlab, but cannot see any of the colors or textures no matter what render options I play with. Exporting to vrml, I can open the file in textedit.app, and see just one texture file referenced. Changing the explicit path and dropping the vrml file into the same folder as the textures, I can zip the folder, and upload to Shapeways. Unfortunately, the model has none of the painted sketchup colors, and many faces are missing (for one set, I have batched all the models together, 7 spaceships the size of a quarter, and only 1 and a half ships show up in the preview, no color).

In Blender, again, the modrl looks great. Clicking export to .x3d, in blender, I get an x3d file that when opened in textedit.app, references 17 variously rescaled jpg files (the textures from Sketchup), but all have explicit file paths (no relative file paths). I've used text edit to change the paths from "something/something/something/darkside.jpg" to just "/darkside.jpg", reimported the file into Blender to test, no problem. Zipped the x3d and jpgs into one file zip, uploaded...."File could not be processed"

</hit head on table>

Emails to customer support have been "sorry, we can't help you fix your model" which I get,
but my MODEL is fine, I just can't get it into their SYSTEM.

Thoughts? Help?

Thank you.

• Attachment: Set2x3d.zip
    (Size: 889.86KB, Downloaded 46 time(s))

Previous Topic:Material thickness and relative strength.
Next Topic:Need help with print parts orientation

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.