Home » Community » General Discussion » 1 million Triangles Limit
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
1 million Triangles Limit [message #64094] Thu, 14 March 2013 16:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar SRZDesign  is currently offline SRZDesign
Go to my shop
I'm finding the single biggest challenge with Shapeways is this limit on triangles. Is there any chance Shapeways can increase this limit to the 1.5 million range? Even 1.25 million. It seems that often I find my models are just outside the 1 million, after I've reduced the polycount and cut the fat of the model as much as possible without totally destroying the integrity. Sure I can reduce the triangle count to under a million, but then the quality of the product suffers and at that point, I question even if its worth making the product. Would it be that much of an issue or improbability for Shapeways to increase this count?
Re: 1 million Triangles Limit [message #64095 is a reply to message #64094 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 17:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Do you have an example of an item before and after decimation? There used to be a way to submit larger files, but I think it's been discontinued.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: 1 million Triangles Limit [message #64115 is a reply to message #64094 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 20:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mhagan  is currently offline Mhagan
Go to my shop
I work here
Contact Customer Service, they will be able to help you out with this.

3D Printing Engineer | Shapeways
Re: 1 million Triangles Limit [message #64148 is a reply to message #64094 ] Fri, 15 March 2013 11:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Swavek,

Swavek wrote on Thu, 14 March 2013 16:20

Would it be that much of an issue or improbability for Shapeways to increase this count?

Yes, it's more complicated than you think as this affects many systems. Typically, 1M triangles is enough for medium-sized models - chances are that you are adding details that will not be visible. What is the size of the object that you're trying to make? Have you tried polygon reduction with tools like MeshLab? They're quite good at removing unneeded triangles.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: 1 million Triangles Limit [message #64216 is a reply to message #64094 ] Fri, 15 March 2013 21:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
You might want to try Zbrush 4r4. I cant say enough good things about this program. Ive had highly detailed models up to 15mil polygons and have been able to reduce it to 990,000 while still keeping it visibly identical. If theres any way you can FTP or https://www.wetransfer.com to send me something you want reduced, I can give it a try with my program and send you the results so you can see if its to you liking. Ive tried other programs that have this feature such as 3d Studio Max 12 and Rhino 3d but the quality in Zbrush 4r4 is the best I've seen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:A free, once-weekly 3D printing newsletter
Next Topic:Questions before I start creating

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.