Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Rings, Ring sizes and setting up orders
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rings, Ring sizes and setting up orders [message #63407] Thu, 07 March 2013 04:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar visualGnosis  is currently offline visualGnosis
Go to my shop
Hi,

Just got a prototype of my ring design today in steel. Its come out nicely Smile I have a few questions:-

1. These rings are for a gaming community. Each of us will want to order a ring in our size. What is the workflow to setup ring sizes? Do I have to do this manually? ie create each 3d model to the correct ring size (allowing for shrinkage) and then post them up individually? Is there any level of automation (like a drop down menu for sizes, or an auto script sizer (after all we are talking about a simple diameter measurement)

2. These rings are not for sale to the general public - but are for iour online gaming crew only - in light of the above questions - how do I make my design available to only people in my crew?

Thanks for your time,

Max
Re: Rings, Ring sizes and setting up orders [message #63415 is a reply to message #63407 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 07:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
1. Yes you will need to make each size, unles you're handy enough with scripting that you can write up some code to plug intp Shapeways API
2. On the model edit page, set 'Offer for sale to others', update then exit the edit page. On the model page, copy the short URL and pass that link on - only people with the URL will be able to visit the model.

Paul

Re: Rings, Ring sizes and setting up orders [message #64059 is a reply to message #63415 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 06:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for your insights and help. So is it possible to collect together all of the rings sizes and offer them via a drop down menu?

also, I wonder if anyone has made a standard ring size set of primitives that we can download - so as to easily scale our models to. (ie. internal ring diameter) Such a model set could incorporate approx shrink values for silver/metals.

Shapeways team? The above seems like a good idea to you? It would save your customers repeating the same time consuming activities repeatedly and help us makers concentrate on getting creative!

Cheers

Matt
Re: Rings, Ring sizes and setting up orders [message #64060 is a reply to message #64059 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 07:01 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Here's an obj file with nested spheres in US ring sizes. This file is produced in maya and exported to obj. Anyone is free to use this -but someone might want to confirm my maths, just to double check.

Previous Topic:Product Variants Mod, display of 'hidden' models in cart
Next Topic:Smiley face