Home » Support » 3D Printing » $1,200 for my model, is this right?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
$1,200 for my model, is this right? [message #64035] Wed, 13 March 2013 21:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar iabosi  is currently offline iabosi
Go to all my models
Hey guys, I'm new here but I thought it would be great if I could print something. It's being marked as $1,200 but it's relatively simple. I can see it's kind of large compared to most things on the site but $1,200 is kind of steep.

Is there something I can do to get this price down? Is there a problem with my model? It's not being rejected.

Re: $1,200 for my model, is this right? [message #64037 is a reply to message #64035 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 22:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
As you no doubt know, for everything except ceramics (where the price is calculated on surface area) the price is calculated based on the volume of your model. (WSF has a price of 1.40 usd per cubic centimetre, or 0.70 usd for the discount price, which you must be getting).

Your model seems fine, but is probably never going to be cost-effective on Shapeways because it is so big. If you could change the design to reduce the volume dramatically the price would fall accordingly.
Re: $1,200 for my model, is this right? [message #64064 is a reply to message #64035 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 09:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
At 10+mm thickness the panels can be hollowed out to remove somwhere in the region of 80% of the material volume. You might need to add bracing within the hollow panels though to help keep the strength.

Paul
Re: $1,200 for my model, is this right? [message #64067 is a reply to message #64064 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 10:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Assuming that you do manage to achieve an 80% reduction in volume the model would still cost approx 240 usd if you are still in the discount zone or 480 usd if you are not.

Previous Topic:3 Materials with "Not Printable" Status
Next Topic:Wrong Print Modell?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.