Home » Support » Buying » Suggestion for downloadable 3D models.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Suggestion for downloadable 3D models. [message #64018] Wed, 13 March 2013 18:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar endie  is currently offline endie
Go to my shop
Hello there! I have a suggestion that would make the option to set your model as downloadable even better. Not sure if this is the right place to post this sort of thing, so forgive me if I was mistaken.

Anyway, I personally sell a lot of models on other sites, like turbosquid. I also buy models on occasion. However, being a professional 3D artist, I am not so eager to just give away my models even if the person claims it's for educational purposes. Who knows what they might do with it: deface my work, or sell it for profit for themselves. So I personally see no use for the download model option because I don't want to give away my hours of hard work.

However, this is a problem for people who genuinely want to use artists' work to learn. I think it would be great if choosing to enable downloading would also give you the option of setting a price for the download. For example, I have set the markup for a piece as $10, printing in total costs $20. If I enable downloading the download price is $12 (my markup + service charge to shapeways). I'm just making up numbers for my example, but it could be anything like that. Or maybe a user could choose to set a price for download separate from the markup.

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, or if it's even financially feasible. However, it does seem to me that shapeways could really encourage a community of learning this way, and also increase the number of people making and selling quality work with little to no costs since a digital download has no materials associated with it.
Re: Suggestion for downloadable 3D models. [message #66097 is a reply to message #64018 ] Sun, 14 April 2013 06:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I too sell on Turbosquid. And yes I think Shapeways is missing out on huge revenues by not offering this service. They probably will one day offer it, but in the meanwhile there is a place like Turbosquid but only for 3D printable models. Go to 3dprintingmodel.com I've corresponded with the owner before and he is very friendly. They give an instant 90% commission through PayPal. I have a few things up there and have sold one item, but it'll be several years before they reach Turbosquid status. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.

Previous Topic:Why different invoice for UPS and customer?
Next Topic:Cost of coffee cup

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.