Home » Community » General Discussion » Question: way to reduce my model cost?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63303] Tue, 05 March 2013 21:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar toddbg  is currently offline toddbg
Go to all my models
I have a new simple model that I was looking to get printed and the pricing seems very high for the amount of material that I believe it is using.
Are there any suggestions to get my cost down?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/955716/1851-clip.html

Thank you
Re: Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63308 is a reply to message #63303 ] Tue, 05 March 2013 22:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Model is not publicly viewable. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63318 is a reply to message #63303 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 00:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
carve ornament on the back wall Smile

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63321 is a reply to message #63303 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 01:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
I can't tell how thick your model is. In general for WSF I've found 1.3mm to be a pretty good thickness. It's fairly strong and I suspect for a clip would be good. This does depend how much force will be on that clip but its a good stiffness for a lot of objects.

Director 3D Tools
Re: Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63323 is a reply to message #63321 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 02:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar toddbg  is currently offline toddbg
Go to all my models
Thanks!
Right now I have this at 2mm as I was following the guidelines for wall thickness.

There will be very little force on this if at all and essentially is just holding a few paper tubes with a ball on the end inside a pouch (I will probably have 6 of these)

In looking at the instructions on the materials page it almost looks like I could go to 1mm?
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible-design-gu idelines

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the double posts.
Re: Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63330 is a reply to message #63323 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 03:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
you can go down 0.7mm wallthickness in unpolished. But for your design I wouldn't go below 1mm.

Director 3D Tools
Re: Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63334 is a reply to message #63330 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 08:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GADesign  is currently offline GADesign
Go to my shop
Cutting out some cool patterns makes most models more beatiful and less expensive, don't know if that would work on your model but i would give it a try given the pricing on this.

If it doesn't look good it's not designed by us.
Re: Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63481 is a reply to message #63323 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 20:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robertbonenfant  is currently offline robertbonenfant
Go to all my models
What Type of Plastic are you trying to use ?? I see sandstone is a little cheaper
Re: Question: way to reduce my model cost? [message #63885 is a reply to message #63481 ] Tue, 12 March 2013 13:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sandstone isn't a plastic - it's non-flexible and fairly brittle. Not suitable for a clip Smile

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:What my cousin got for her 12th birthday...
Next Topic:Not printable but conform to the design rules?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.