Home » Community » General Discussion » How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb [message #63759] Sun, 10 March 2013 23:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar svenvanderhart  is currently offline svenvanderhart
Go to my shop
Shapeways sends me my designs back, where parts that are not connected (but should be) are highlighted green. It looks like a Netfabb screenshot. How do they get the non connecting parts highlighted? How do I check that myself, so I can correct it before sending it off?

http://tramworks.nl
Re: How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb [message #63786 is a reply to message #63759 ] Mon, 11 March 2013 07:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm not familiar with Netfabb commands, but there are many others in this forum who are and will shortly post a reply to help you. In the meanwhile, you might try running it through the Netfabb Cloud Service to see if the cloud can fix it all automatically. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb [message #63787 is a reply to message #63786 ] Mon, 11 March 2013 07:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the reply. The cloud service is not possible for two reasons:

1) it doesn't know that those parts have to be connected, as it could be intentionally.
2) the cloud service closes holes it shouldn't.

Re: How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb [message #63788 is a reply to message #63787 ] Mon, 11 March 2013 08:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I see, I see.

Can you post an image of it? Or, can you post the rejection image perhaps.
Also, what material are wanting to print in?

If you made those two models in your store then you already know quite a bit about 3D modeling; so I'm curious to learn more about this rejection.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb [message #63795 is a reply to message #63788 ] Mon, 11 March 2013 09:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Sven,

Does this picture help:

index.php?t=getfile&id=28823&private=0

1: Click on "repair" (red cross)
2: Click on the main model, this shows green right now.
3. all parts that aren't connected show up as blue.

In my case, the left part is one shell, the right part is blue as it's not connected to the green one Smile

• Attachment: pic.JPG
    (Size: 162.97KB, Downloaded 86 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 11 March 2013 09:56 UTC]

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb [message #64084 is a reply to message #63795 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 15:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@UniverseBecoming: that's very flattering, but this is still my first ever model which I am improving. I learned myself ViaCad just to make this model. But it won't be the last, it is so much fun and addictive.

@Mitchell: Thanks for the tip, that Shell button was what I was looking for. I was so focussed on an automised function, that I didn't thought about the most obvious: select a part, so you can see which parts are not selected. Kind of "Duh!".

Below a picture of my issue and why it went wrong (transparent part). I first drew a Bezier line, then put a pipe around it. By changing the curve with the handles, also the flat end of each end will change angle. Thus not be flat connected anymore. I solved it by dragging the end point into the object, but I could also have solved it by adding a straight line on each ends, then a pipe around the connected lines and bezier curve.

Your image made me realise now the thing with "one shell" ("finally!", the Shapeways team will say Laughing ). I build my model with blocks, balls, pipes etc, not using the extrude option a lot. As it is a very complex model, there are a lot of those parts. I never unified them, as I still have the need to adjust them, when I figure out it was historically different. Now I unified each layer and at the end unified those.

http://svencentral.com/weblinks/viacad/2013/curve.jpg

Re: How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb [message #64086 is a reply to message #64084 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
As long as your parts are intersecting, our upload software will unify the model down to 1 single shell Wink

In your case, with the rejected model, our upload software unified everything except for parts that are not intersecting into the next part.

Of course, if you unify the model down to 1 shell yourself you can make sure it will not fail at all Smile

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: How to check non connecting parts in Netfabb [message #64087 is a reply to message #64086 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 15:36 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I thought that was the case, but as I already had 4 prints with all missing one or two parts. In-between parts, not too thin or not connecting parts. I had to be sure that that would not happen again. Maybe I just unify only layers when I know they are finished, that is easy to remove again to make changes.

Previous Topic:can we chrome plating Frosted Ultra Detail material?
Next Topic:A free, once-weekly 3D printing newsletter

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.