Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » General Discussion » minimum space between meshes?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
minimum space between meshes? [message #63528] Fri, 08 March 2013 05:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar iwinsome  is currently offline iwinsome
Go to all my models
Hi,
I have designed a lace dollie and I am afraid that 3D print could not print negative spaces correctly and print as a solid surface.
What is the minimum size for negative space?

Re: minimum space between meshes? [message #63535 is a reply to message #63528 ] Fri, 08 March 2013 07:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
If I understand your quwstion rightly, you're asking about the empty space between solid parts?
If so, anything over 0.5mm should be ok, below that and you run the risk of areas being fused in the strong & flexible plastic.
What material are you inteding to have the lace dollie printed in?

Paul
Re: minimum space between meshes? [message #63703 is a reply to message #63535 ] Sat, 09 March 2013 23:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GADesign  is currently offline GADesign
Go to my shop
For a negative space not to get printed as solid add a hole that attatchs the negative space to the outside of your model big enough so that the support material can be removed.

An enclosed negative area won't be recognized by shapeways and the product will be printed as solid. (In fud it can be enclosed i think but i'm not sure of that)

If it doesn't look good it's not designed by us.

Previous Topic:Questions
Next Topic:PRINTING QUESTION