Home » Support » 3D Design » Export Wireframe Model to STL
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63193] Mon, 04 March 2013 16:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar highonsnow  is currently offline highonsnow
Go to my shop
Hi guys,

How do I go about exporting/generating my currently 3D model, into a wireframe representation for 3D printing?

Example: http://www.shapeways.com/model/601113/thundercat.html

I want to generate a wireframe version of this that can be printed on Shapeways - a Wireframe model as such.

How can I do this effectively?

Peter
Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63345 is a reply to message #63193 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 13:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Hi Peter

if you are using Blender you might try skin modifier
index.php?t=getfile&id=28525&private=0

But is computation intensive, and it might crash with Hi-poly model. Or it just with my PC Smile

Marián

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63346 is a reply to message #63345 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 13:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Marián,

Thanks very much for your reply! I've created the model in 3D Studio Max.. is there an equivalent function in that, or can I open the model in Blender and carry out the function there do you think?

Thanks for your help,

Peter
Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63347 is a reply to message #63346 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 13:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
i saw Max only from distance so i don't know.Smile Also i ask a friend but he never did something like that in max so he doesn't know either.

Blender can import STL, OBJ, 3DS, but i cant guarantee it will work

Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63349 is a reply to message #63347 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 14:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Excellent, ok I think I've got something here, thanks a million!
Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63351 is a reply to message #63345 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Keymaker wrote on Wed, 06 March 2013 13:36

if you are using Blender you might try skin modifier...

But is computation intensive, and it might crash with Hi-poly model. Or it just with my PC Smile

Or you can go into edit mode, open the Face menu (ctrl+F) and select 'Wire Frame' ---->

index.php?t=getfile&id=28543&private=0

Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63354 is a reply to message #63193 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I like! is there a way to control the wire thickness?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63356 is a reply to message #63354 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 15:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
AmLachDesigns wrote on Wed, 06 March 2013 14:56

Keymaker wrote on Wed, 06 March 2013 13:36

if you are using Blender you might try skin modifier...

Or you can go into edit mode, open the Face menu (ctrl+F) and select 'Wire Frame' ---->

interesting. didn't know this one Smile

Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 06 March 2013 15:28

I like! is there a way to control the wire thickness?

The AmLachDesigns solution is "destructive" method and you can control wire thickness only once.

The skin modifier is non destructive (keep original mesh) and you can change thickness in edit mode anytime (Mean radius X/Y, depends on scale of the object)

Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63447 is a reply to message #63356 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 15:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Keymaker wrote on Wed, 06 March 2013 15:43

The AmLachDesigns solution is "destructive" method and you can control wire thickness only once.

I'm having no luck with skin so far, my model is probably too complex for my machine. So how do I control the thickness of the wires using the Face Menu method?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63448 is a reply to message #63447 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
in edit mode ctr+F -> Wire frame (W) -> before you do anything else in tool bar menu (or F6 - on picture) you can find thickness index.php?t=getfile&id=28596&private=0

Re: Export Wireframe Model to STL [message #63449 is a reply to message #63193 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 16:24 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Awesome! Thanks. Exactly what I needed.

Previous Topic:Using public domain cartoon for products.
Next Topic:Size??

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.