Home » Community » General Discussion » License of my models..
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
License of my models.. [message #63344] Wed, 06 March 2013 13:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar macouno  is currently offline macouno
Go to my shop
hi guys... sorry if this has been discussed... and I am sure it has been...

I allow people to download my models... which is great, because I see them pop up in lots of unexpected places!

Today for instance I saw this here: http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1935-NFC-Technology-M eets-3D-Printing.html

Great right? Except... Nowhere is it mentioned that it's my model... I can understand why... nowhere on the shapeways website is there any mention of a license for my model. I am afraid I'll have to disable downloads of my stuff unless I can set them as CC-by somewhere. I don't need payment, but I think having my name mentioned as the creator should be possible.
Re: License of my models.. [message #63348 is a reply to message #63344 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 13:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I agree a more prominent licensing option would be great.

For now I just add a blurb about the CC license under which I offer my files.

In practice, most people and companies still ignore them :-S
Even after emailing about it, few take action..

[Updated on: Wed, 06 March 2013 13:57 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: License of my models.. [message #63386 is a reply to message #63348 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 22:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
It's better not to make a file available for download unless you're ready to see it in the public domain, no strings attached.

I'm not seeing how it would be reasonable to expect Shapeways to offer or enforce licensing terms for you; there'd be nothing but grief in it for them.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: License of my models.. [message #63420 is a reply to message #63344 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 09:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar macouno  is currently offline macouno
Go to my shop
hi Batsheba,

I love seeing my work out there in the public domain. But... I would like credit for the work I've done.

I share a lot of my files on other websites such as blendswap.com or thingiverse.com and they all offer to put a small licensing text next to their download button. I don't expect any enforcement. I just want a single line of text (and maybe a cc logo) next to the download button. I posted because I'm really surprised it isn't there...

Previous Topic:Weekend Contest #4: Lampshade
Next Topic:Consistency in Design Specifications on the FUD Page

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.