Home » Community » General Discussion » ASCII FIle from LiDAR Static Scanner
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
ASCII FIle from LiDAR Static Scanner [message #63389] Wed, 06 March 2013 23:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar benelson01  is currently offline benelson01
Go to all my models
First time to the 3D Printer world. Hopefully I could get some help on this. I run a Riegl VZ-400 Static LiDAR Scanner. Does anyone know if you can import the ASCII Scan Data file of lets says a building into a 3D printer friendly software to create a tabletop scaled down model of that building?

Any help would be appreciated!

Brad
Re: ASCII FIle from LiDAR Static Scanner [message #63397 is a reply to message #63389 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 00:23 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You will have to convert the data into one of the accepted formats STL, VRML2/97 (.wrl), COLLADA (.dae), X3D or OBJ.

My feeling is that the LiDAR data is likely a "point cloud" and there are several packages that can convert point cloud data into one of the above formats. What I have found though is that there is a good deal of editing required to clean up the models.

Meshab (http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/) is one such program capable of converting point clouds to STL, etc.

If you have such data on hand.. I wouldn't mind trying to help.. just PM me.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:1:500 scale fighter jets
Next Topic:Weekend Contest #4: Lampshade

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.