Home » Community » General Discussion » ASCII FIle from LiDAR Static Scanner
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
ASCII FIle from LiDAR Static Scanner [message #63389] Wed, 06 March 2013 23:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar benelson01  is currently offline benelson01
Go to all my models
First time to the 3D Printer world. Hopefully I could get some help on this. I run a Riegl VZ-400 Static LiDAR Scanner. Does anyone know if you can import the ASCII Scan Data file of lets says a building into a 3D printer friendly software to create a tabletop scaled down model of that building?

Any help would be appreciated!

Brad
Re: ASCII FIle from LiDAR Static Scanner [message #63397 is a reply to message #63389 ] Thu, 07 March 2013 00:23 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
You will have to convert the data into one of the accepted formats STL, VRML2/97 (.wrl), COLLADA (.dae), X3D or OBJ.

My feeling is that the LiDAR data is likely a "point cloud" and there are several packages that can convert point cloud data into one of the above formats. What I have found though is that there is a good deal of editing required to clean up the models.

Meshab (http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/) is one such program capable of converting point clouds to STL, etc.

If you have such data on hand.. I wouldn't mind trying to help.. just PM me.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:1:500 scale fighter jets
Next Topic:Weekend Contest #4: Lampshade