Home »  » 3D Printing » Interlocking Rings
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Interlocking Rings [message #498] Sat, 02 August 2008 06:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar gsnethen  is currently offline gsnethen
Go to all my models
I have a design that includes interlocking rings, similar to links in a chain.

If I submit the model with the pieces linked together, will your layout process keep them linked? Is there anything special I need to do or rules I need be aware of for printing linked pieces?
Re: Interlocking Rings [message #557 is a reply to message #498 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 07:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi gsnethen,

yes, the chains should be printed like you designed them - linked and all.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Interlocking Rings [message #623 is a reply to message #557 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 15:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gsnethen  is currently offline gsnethen
Go to all my models
What's the minimum gap you would recommend to ensure two surfaces won't inadvertently bond during the printing process?

---Gary
Re: Interlocking Rings [message #633 is a reply to message #623 ] Tue, 05 August 2008 17:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar svenpb  is currently offline svenpb
Go to all my models
from other thread:

Quote:

We support multiple meshes. As long as each mesh in itself is manifold it will print. The printer will treat the model as 1 big mesh.

To ensure that all parts are firmly connected to each other you should take care that all parts are at least a 1-2 millimeters connected to each other.

If you do not connect the parts at all they will be printed separately. You can choose to put it up as one model or put each part as a separate model. There is no impact on the price either way.

Also looking at this object, I would advise to make the arms at least a 3-4 millimeters thick. Or else they can break when handled.

Previous Topic:materials FAQ
Next Topic:Intersecting

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.