Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Ceramical questions...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ceramical questions... [message #62885] Wed, 27 February 2013 19:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar D-Sign  is currently offline D-Sign
Go to my shop
Hi I don't know if this has been asked before, but after extensive search (and review of the ceramics design rules) I still have a few questions regarding Ceramics, and I though I'll ask here.

First off all, is the glaze, sprayed on, brushed or are figures dipped on it? I ask this, because I am creating a figure with a hollow interior with minor cuts and would like to know just how much thickness am I adding (1mm glaze each side).

Second, the recommended thickness for a 120mm wall is 3mm, but if its just 90 can I lower it? or is it 3mm the minimum?

Third, the wall thickness.. any chance the 3mm is with the glaze on? 1mm glaze+1mm ceramic+ 1mm glaze? Or is it 1mm glaze+ 3mm ceramic+ 1mm glaze total 5mm thickness?? Because 5mm I think feels thick for a espresso cup..

Fourth it is mentioned that we must have an obvious bottom for the piece, (and I think mine does, well sort off) but just to play on the safe side, how do I mark the bottom? Will my signature at the bottom be sufficient?

Thanks!
Re: Ceramical questions... [message #62887 is a reply to message #62885 ] Wed, 27 February 2013 19:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
3mm walls is the minimum thickness of the design. The glaze can be up to 1mm thick as it will be thicker in area's where it can pool, and thinner on standing walls. The glazing is applied by dipping, and is pretty thorough. As far as the obvious bottom, I'd make sure that your upload is properly oriented, and it never hurts to email service to let them know that you have the model oriented properly.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Ceramical questions... [message #62888 is a reply to message #62887 ] Wed, 27 February 2013 19:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ok. Thanks, Youknowwho4eva!
Re: Ceramical questions... [message #62915 is a reply to message #62887 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 06:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ward.Eight  is currently offline Ward.Eight
Go to my shop
Greetings Shapeways,

I also had a question about the ceramic material. I read that you must use caution with sharp edges on your model, as they are prone to cracking inside the kiln. What if I want a nice discernible edge? Should I chamfer them just in case (see photo)? The obtuse angle created from once surface to the next, makes me believe it wouldn't be a problem when fired, but what are your thoughts?

Also, is layer stepping a big problem for small ceramic pieces? Thanks!

index.php?t=getfile&id=28204&private=0
Tulip Shot Glass, 1.83" x 3.25", 1.5oz (44ml)

-Ward.Eight-

Re: Ceramical questions... [message #62951 is a reply to message #62885 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 14:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
This is for both of you. x+y+z≥120mm is the minimum bounding box for ceramics. So D-sign, a 90mm item wouldn't be printable in ceramic, and Ward.Eight, the minimum bounding box doesn't exactly allow for small items. As for stepping, The pieces I've seen have no visible stepping, as the glaze covers that up.

Ward.Eight, the problem with those sharp edges will be the glaze will not want to hold onto those sharp edges. And if it does hold, your final product will not be sharp like that as the glaze will reduce the detail.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Ceramical questions... [message #62966 is a reply to message #62951 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 15:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I know, 90mm just the height, Total XYZ 170mm
Re: Ceramical questions... [message #62967 is a reply to message #62885 ] Thu, 28 February 2013 16:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ah ok, to clarify the thickness requirements, those are based on they sum of the xyz.

Re: Ceramical questions... [message #62997 is a reply to message #62967 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 02:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The Design specifications say that embossed details need to be at least 2mm. However when those details are complicated, it is impossible to meet the other rule... Minimum radius 2mm. This is just a name at the bottom. Must it be filleted to 2mm too?

[Updated on: Fri, 01 March 2013 02:03 UTC]

Re: Ceramical questions... [message #63027 is a reply to message #62885 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 14:40 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If you engrave the text it wouldn't be *necessary as the radius is for the glazing. Now I put a * there because, as a requirement, it may still be required to have a radius even though it would be in an unglazed area.

Previous Topic:Exporting from 3ds Max
Next Topic:How to Print Interlocking Parts? Also, which material?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.