Home » Support » 3D Applications » Blender and UV Mapping
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Blender and UV Mapping [message #63009] Fri, 01 March 2013 07:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns is currently online AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi again,

does anyone have any tips for working with UV maps of objects with Blender.

I can create the UV map and export it, but can anyone tell me the best way to add the colours? I've watched tutorials where it's done for simple objects like cubes or where a photo is mapped onto the ... map, but it all gets much more complicated if you have a 'real' model and you want to 'paint' it yourself..

So how do you guys set about it, which software etc? Any tips gratefully received.

Thx
Re: Blender and UV Mapping [message #63019 is a reply to message #63009 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If you already have the UV map saved as an image file, you can simply edit the image and save it Smile

Alternatively, you can use Mesh Lab 'z-painting' to literally paint the model, the colour with be 'burnt' into the model file (so no messing about with zip folders)

Paul
Re: Blender and UV Mapping [message #63021 is a reply to message #63019 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 14:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks.

I probably need to get some different image editing software - I don't think Paint will cut it! Any suggestions?

Re: Blender and UV Mapping [message #63032 is a reply to message #63021 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 15:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
http://www.drpic.com/ is free and web-based.. nothing to install
Inkscape is another free drawing program that works well.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Blender and UV Mapping [message #63037 is a reply to message #63032 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 16:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks, I will check them out.
Re: Blender and UV Mapping [message #63040 is a reply to message #63009 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
There are 3 ways to add color in blender uv mapping obviously, the material color, and vertex painting none of which requires any uv unmapping (results are a solid color applied to the model. Gimp is a good free paint program,that has the option to turn a selection to a path,which you can export as a .svg then import into Blender as a curve very handy option.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Blender and UV Mapping [message #63042 is a reply to message #63040 ] Fri, 01 March 2013 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks Fredd.

Did you create your Sid model in Blender? How did you add the colours in this case?
Re: Blender and UV Mapping [message #63108 is a reply to message #63009 ] Sat, 02 March 2013 18:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
someonehere needed help with the textures not showing on the model hereof cid when uploading.asked about the mapping turned out the uv map was exported into gimp color added onto separate layers using the layer the map the uv image was on.there really i s no quick and easy to way to learnto unwrap fast and easy takes some tut orialwatching,trial, and error,unless you import an image as plane which will unwrap the plane for texture painting(project paint) seems to work well if you just do not want to unwrap a model.I am tinkering with that technique currently

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Little confusion of measurements
Next Topic:MESHLAB Uniform mesh resampling PROBLEM*

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.