Home » Support » 3D Design » 3d Printing for Research Use - Safe material for strong bases?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  3d Printing for Research Use - Safe material for strong bases? [message #62717] Sun, 24 February 2013 16:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar Kezro  is currently offline Kezro
Go to all my models
Hi All!

I am a part of a project team at my university and we are looking into using 3d printing to design battery containers. In the past we have always machined a thick acrylic however our current project a detailed container to be built several times over and it isn't practical to make it by hand. So we've turned to 3d printing as a viable option. However, our main concern is the possibility of disintegration of the material in the presence of our chemicals.

We are working with a concentrated solution of Potassium Hydroxide (KOH), Activated Carbon, and aluminum. We need the box to be rigid, and non-reactive. Does anyone know what type of material we should pursue for this use or if it is possible at all?

Thank you!
Kezro
Re: 3d Printing for Research Use - Safe material for strong bases? [message #62762 is a reply to message #62717 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 16:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The only material I would think might be appropriate would be WSF which is nylon.

However, if you review this video you'll see that the WSF material is rather porus.
I would be very concerned about long-term seepage of caustic fluids.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Split a model for printable size
Next Topic:Material Selection: Opaque object inside Transparent object

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.