Home » Support » 3D Design » 3d Printing for Research Use - Safe material for strong bases?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  3d Printing for Research Use - Safe material for strong bases? [message #62717] Sun, 24 February 2013 16:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar Kezro  is currently offline Kezro
Go to all my models
Hi All!

I am a part of a project team at my university and we are looking into using 3d printing to design battery containers. In the past we have always machined a thick acrylic however our current project a detailed container to be built several times over and it isn't practical to make it by hand. So we've turned to 3d printing as a viable option. However, our main concern is the possibility of disintegration of the material in the presence of our chemicals.

We are working with a concentrated solution of Potassium Hydroxide (KOH), Activated Carbon, and aluminum. We need the box to be rigid, and non-reactive. Does anyone know what type of material we should pursue for this use or if it is possible at all?

Thank you!
Kezro
Re: 3d Printing for Research Use - Safe material for strong bases? [message #62762 is a reply to message #62717 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 16:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
The only material I would think might be appropriate would be WSF which is nylon.

However, if you review this video you'll see that the WSF material is rather porus.
I would be very concerned about long-term seepage of caustic fluids.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Split a model for printable size
Next Topic:Material Selection: Opaque object inside Transparent object