Home » Community » 3D modelers for hire » Some assistance needed to get started.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Some assistance needed to get started. [message #62696] Sun, 24 February 2013 07:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar TheSynan  is currently offline TheSynan
Go to all my models
I have no idea what I'm doing as far as altering and maintaining the fine details for the Shapeways upload tool. I have tons of OBJ files just begging to be printed but I can't get the damn thing to work. I've gotten just about every error message possible at this point so something I'm doing is wrong and anyone willing to take a look at my file and see if they can work some magic would be awesome.

I don't need an artist, I just need someone who understands this system who can help me get off the ground, and for that I'd be willing to employ.

thank you.
Re: Some assistance needed to get started. [message #62706 is a reply to message #62696 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 12:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Download the free "netfabb studio basic" from netfabb.com to check and repair your files before uploading.
This will also show you the size of your models and allow you to rescale them in case they are too big or too
small to be printed. If nothing helps, post a message in the "Suppor/t3D design" forum and.attach the smallest
and/or most simple of your problem files to it.
Re: Some assistance needed to get started. [message #62719 is a reply to message #62706 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 17:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TheSynan  is currently offline TheSynan
Go to all my models
mkroeker wrote on Sun, 24 February 2013 12:06

Download the free "netfabb studio basic" from netfabb.com to check and repair your files before uploading.
This will also show you the size of your models and allow you to rescale them in case they are too big or too
small to be printed. If nothing helps, post a message in the "Suppor/t3D design" forum and.attach the smallest
and/or most simple of your problem files to it.

Mkroeker, You're awesome!
I got the netfabb studio basic program and went through the auto fixes, it looks pretty good but Shapeways keeps blasting my email with an error. I guess my model is too small. I have no idea how to fix this as my model is not too small, not by a long shot. I suppose I'll go to the support section later when I have more time and see what I can figure out.
Re: Some assistance needed to get started. [message #62720 is a reply to message #62719 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 17:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
No need to guess - you should see the dimensions of your model in netfabb, right on the main screen.
What is the error message you get - does it mention a specific problem, or just the dreaded "your model needs
a bit more love" ? (Also check that your model is below the shapeways limit of one million triangles - you will
see this in the output of the "standard analysis" available from the "Extras/New Analysis" menu)
Re: Some assistance needed to get started. [message #62725 is a reply to message #62719 ] Sun, 24 February 2013 19:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar solid_modeler  is currently offline solid_modeler
Go to my shop
One thing you may want to check to is that the kind of units you used in the model and the units you are importing your model as in Shapeways. I have uploaded an object I built in inches as a "millimeters" unit and that definitely screws things up.

Previous Topic:3D modeler, Designer, Concept artist and more!
Next Topic:Rapid Prototyping, Rapid Manufacturing, Product Design & Manufacturing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.