Home » Support » 3D Design » Material Selection: Opaque object inside Transparent object
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material Selection: Opaque object inside Transparent object [message #62659] Sat, 23 February 2013 18:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar KrashTestDumby  is currently offline KrashTestDumby
Go to all my models
Given: Using Blender (2.6x), exporting to .x3d format, model has been uploaded and accepted. For simplicity sake, let's say I have an opaque sphere (purple) inside a transparent cube (in Blender Alpha is set to 0.1).

Question: When ordering, do I select "Transparent Detail," and will only the cube be transparent, or will both objects be transparent, but the sphere will be a transparent shade of purple? Or do I order one of the other materials, and the cube will be transparent but cloudy?

Thanks!
Re: Material Selection: Opaque object inside Transparent object [message #62662 is a reply to message #62659 ] Sat, 23 February 2013 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Sorry, this will probably not work. There is no multi-material combination in a single print with the machines and materials that
shapeways offers.
The only material where color information has any meaning - "full color sandstone" - cannot be made transparent as it is based on gypsum powder, and the "transparent" acrylic material cannot be colored during printing. Also, chances are that your enclosed sphere is simply optimized away by the shapeways software.
The only thing that comes close to your idea would be to add a very small hole that connects the sphere to the outside of the cube, so that it forms a hollow area that gets filled with the milky-white support material during printing with one of the transparent materials - or use one or two bigger holes so that the support material can be removed, and color the inner surface with diluted acrylic paint if you want it to be any color other than white. Also note that the "transparent" material will require some polishing to actually become transparent.
Re: Material Selection: Opaque object inside Transparent object [message #62777 is a reply to message #62662 ] Mon, 25 February 2013 19:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar KrashTestDumby  is currently offline KrashTestDumby
Go to all my models
Ah. After reading your response, I went back and took a closer look at all the pretty multicolored puzzles, etc. Got it! The pictures aren't how the model comes out of the printer, they're pictures of the model after someone has applied stickers, paint, or models made-up of like-colored pieces printed in groups of printings and brought together into a complete model.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Previous Topic:3d Printing for Research Use - Safe material for strong bases?
Next Topic:Export from Maya to VRML files