Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » General Discussion » Which software programs open .x3db files
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62526] Thu, 21 February 2013 15:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar Camazine  is currently offline Camazine
Go to my shop
I was working with the Sake Set Creator and see that the files are output in .x3db format. I wanted to do some refinements to the object I created, and was wondering which software programs will open a file in .x3db format. It does not appear that blender or MeshLab will open these files. I am using Mac OSX so would prefer to know about Mac software, but would also be interested to know about Windows programs.
Re: Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62537 is a reply to message #62526 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
I just tried. It opened fine in Netfabb. It needed to be repaired.
It had 6016 shells and 6016 holes. Did an Automatic repair. OK 1 shell no holes but it had inverted normals. Pick shell, flip selected triangles. OK. Apply repair. You will need to export part now to a format you can work with.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/935814/zed.html free to download to try

[Updated on: Thu, 21 February 2013 18:09 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62538 is a reply to message #62537 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 18:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey Rob:

Thanks so much for your reply. I must have had an older version of NetFabb for Mac. When I opened the .x3db file it gave me an error message, "Read past end of file". After reading your message, I downloaded NetFabb again, and it opened just fine!

Much appreciated.

scott
Re: Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62587 is a reply to message #62538 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 11:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
I don't know of any software that does, but you can use the free XJ3D toolkit to convert them to VRML files:

http://www.xj3d.org/

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Which software programs open .x3db files [message #62594 is a reply to message #62587 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 13:09 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks Bart. However, the link you provided turns out to be dead. It leads here:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/xj3d//

Previous Topic:Does the customer really need to be refunded if there is an error...
Next Topic:new puzzle: the nodebox