Home » Community » Work in progress » Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62316] Mon, 18 February 2013 14:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar charleshevi  is currently offline charleshevi
Go to all my models
Hi!

I am very new at this and have been playing around with sketch up. I was able to download and iphone case and was trying to incorporate our company logo on it. I am in desperate need of help. Another problem that I am running into is that when I upload my iphone case piece on to shapeways, it appears to be solid. Need some suggestions on how to make this all work please. Below is an attachment of the logo.

Thanks!

• Attachment: logo.jpg
    (Size: 467.94KB, Downloaded 66 time(s))

Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62341 is a reply to message #62316 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 21:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Use Inkscape to convert that image into a vector graphic, then you'll need to get that into Sketchup. Maybe use Meshlab to convert it for Sketchup. When you've modeled it, use Netfabb to fix any problems. You may also want to run it through the Nettfabb cloud service to make it watertight or completely closed.

Those are some tips, but I have to go now. I'll be back in a few hours.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62433 is a reply to message #62341 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 06:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
How's it coming? Are you getting anywhere with it?

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62450 is a reply to message #62433 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I've heard about this Inkscape ploy before, so I thought I'd give it a whirl...

I imported the .jpg into Inkscape, went onto the 'Path' options and selected 'Trace Bitmap'. I won't give you teh options I selected because they are probably rubbish, but I got a monochrome .svg at the end. Attached is the .svg.

Then I imported the .svg to Blender. This is fantastically cool and directly gives you the logo in the form of Bezier curves. This logo you can extrude and bevel to your heart's content. Once happy, you then take the option to convert the curve to a mesh. This mesh may be manipulated in the normal ways (scaled etc). I sized the mesh to the approx size to fit on the back of an iPhone case and attach it in the next message.

Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62452 is a reply to message #62450 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 14:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Here is the .stl of the mesh. It is supplied as an example only, with no warranty or blah blah, just to show what you can do with this method. I assume that you are the owner of this logo and if not, well ... don't use it.

Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62459 is a reply to message #62433 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 14:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the suggestions but I was running into a problem with it and didn't get enough time this week to work on it some more. Since all this is new to me Inkscale was a little bit more challenging that other softwares to work with.
Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62461 is a reply to message #62452 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Really excited to see the work but I don't have access to any stl viewer other than on shapeways. It appears that I underestimated Mesh. About the logo... I know the owner of the company. Currently working on creating a prototype for him.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62465 is a reply to message #62461 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 15:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Most 3d design packages will allow you to import a file in the .stl format (I think). Blender (which is free) certainly does. If you just want to view the mesh (i.e. the .stl file) you can get another free piece of software, Netfabb Studio Basic.

Good luck
Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62505 is a reply to message #62465 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 06:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It did a nice job on the conversion!

I normally use CorelDraw 12, but more and more there are times when I use Inkscape. For example, just the other day I tried to load in the Shapeways logo in pdf format and it wouldn't load up in CorelDraw at all, so I tried Inkscape and it loaded it in and exported the vectors perfectly.

Re: Need help adding a logo to iphone 4s case [message #62506 is a reply to message #62505 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 07:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I had to laugh when I used Inkscape. Pretty much the first thing I did in 3d and for SW was a logo for a friend. I laboriously input it vertex by vertex and then extruded it to be 3d. Then he said he wanted it bevelled and that took a lot of similar work. But he was happy with the result. Then I learnt about Bezier curves in Blender and cursed because I could have done it so much quicker. And now with Inkscape, even as a total n00b it was 5 mins jpeg to mesh.

As I said, how I laughed!

Inkscape did a fantastic job, imo, and that's with me using who knows what parameters on the Trace. I will definitely use it again, thanks for the idea.

Previous Topic:Mechanical parts, clearance, thickness? input on first project(extender)
Next Topic:Photorealistic 3D Animals & statues

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.