Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Time for a rant
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Time for a rant [message #62503] Thu, 21 February 2013 03:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar paulelderdesign  is currently offline paulelderdesign
Go to my shop
Sorry guys but I have to get this off my chest, rather than posting seperately Rolling Eyes

First of all I am sick to death of being told my model won't print after uploading, updating it and selling it. makes no sense spending a considerable amount of time making a model for a client to be told the day before it goes to print that it won't. The refund thing has lost me a lot of money too and some have actually used the phrase "we'll take our business elsewhere"

Just recently I was told after making this at 1/3 scale or 24cm in length that it won't print due to it being innapropriate material. My client was SEGA/Gearbox and it was for the release of Colonial Marines. Sad

Secondly why no Pounds on the store? Not everyone understands euro conversion. I'd rather have dollars as it's easier. Can my default currency be changed?

Sorry to go on but I'm trying to run a business here and I'm sure others have the same issue.

Regards

Paul
Re: Time for a rant [message #62507 is a reply to message #62503 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 07:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

Secondly why no Pounds on the store? Not everyone understands euro conversion. I'd rather have dollars as it's easier. Can my default currency be changed?

The currency thing is a problem for many people and has been aired many times in the forums. SW are addressing it, apparently. Still, no harm in adding your opinion to debate.

Quote:

Just recently I was told after making this at 1/3 scale or 24cm in length that it won't print due to it being innapropriate material. My client was SEGA/Gearbox and it was for the release of Colonial Marines.

If you are saying that SW would not print this because it is a weapon over their size limit, then Stop4Stuff did warn you: 61843. 3d printing companies are wary of printing weapons, especially gun parts, as it might threaten their whole business. As a non-American perhaps you don't care, but the 3d printing of guns and gun components is a hot topic with US lawmakers politicians and if they legislate this might mess us all up.

Perhaps you should see if another company will print your item. If not the Belgian company, then try someone offering 'Rapid Prototyping'.

Good luck.

Re: Time for a rant [message #62525 is a reply to message #62503 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 15:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi!

I see you have reduced the scale of your model to make it under 10cm so it complies with our guidelines. Thank you!

As for printability, when you adjust the scale, remember that ALL dimensions change, so it is important to check all the details so they still comply with the design guidelines especially minimum wall thickness.

Lastly, we can not offer Pounds Sterling on the site as we are not a registered business in the UK. We offer Euros and Dollars because we are registered in the EU and the USA. When you check out with PayPal, you can of course pay in any currency you wish.

As has been mentioned, we are working on displaying both currency options on the site at the same time.

-Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Time for a rant [message #62553 is a reply to message #62525 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 21:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks to all. I rant a lot so it was not really aimed at anyone just venting Very Happy

I did resize the pulse rifle yes I have a way in 3ds max that works for me and may help other
users.

First I make a cube to the minumum size in this case 0.7mm and align it to every part if it is over I'll see in my work space (especially the design views)
. Definitely helps to use the edge tool once attaching your objects to see the red errors or non watertight areas, just select all or drag your selection and if there are no red lines, you're good to go.

I'll be ordering a copy of the pulse rifle soon for myself so I will check it now Cool

Thanks for the support I promise I will...rant less

Paul
Re: Time for a rant [message #62555 is a reply to message #62525 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 21:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
In regards to currency conversion I thought I had hit on a good idea when I though of a browser plugin that would do it automatically and was going to suggest that for programmers that might be reading, but then I thought I better check and see if it's already been done and sure enough, it has for Firefox and probably other browsers too.

Not the solution, I know, but it should help a bit when wanting to know the exact conversion until things with Shapeways improve in the future.

I'm sorry you had to scale your design down, I can appreciate how frustrating that might be. There is a way to scale it back up if you're just making a one off prop and still want to use Shapeways. What you could do is make the design into a mold cavity at 10 cm and then cast it using these instructions to enlarge it to the size needed.

Is Shapeways following some kind of international laws or something when it comes to firearms? If so, it would seem as though the 3D printing industry is getting treated unfairly here, since toy manufacturers have been manufacturing full scale firearm replicas for decades without incident.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Time for a rant [message #62560 is a reply to message #62555 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 22:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
For prop makers like me it's a nightmare but I would rather keep my shop within the law whatever country is affected. As a cosplayer myself (see my site) You'll see that all my photoshoots require replica firearms mostly airsoft, in the UK we have two tone and blaze tips

I guess shapeways can't trust everyone as someone printed a working gun using an older model 3d printer and it's becoming an epidemic now here

Paul
Re: Time for a rant [message #62563 is a reply to message #62560 ] Thu, 21 February 2013 23:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Previous threads on the subject:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=7103 &&srch=dutch+weapons#msg_7103
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=3591 2&&srch=dutch+weapons#msg_35912
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=1 470&goto=7103#msg_7103

At this time, some fairly large portion of the models printed by Shapeways are still printed in the Netherlands, therefore they must adhere to NL law. Even if your model was printed in the US, it may fall under the new laws just enacted by the state of New York.

http://www.justitie.nl/onderwerpen/criminaliteit/wapens/inde x.aspx
http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0008804/geldigheidsdatum_23-07 -2012

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl =en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwetten.overheid.nl%2FBWBR0008804%2Fge ldigheidsdatum_23-07-2012

[Updated on: Thu, 21 February 2013 23:14 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Time for a rant [message #62574 is a reply to message #62563 ] Fri, 22 February 2013 07:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Great! Thanks for the info!

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Time for a rant [message #94746 is a reply to message #62503 ] Fri, 25 July 2014 16:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Please direct further comments to this post

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:I can't add new photos to my products
Next Topic:Why am I turning OFF materials?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.