Home » Community » General Discussion » Ship in a bottle
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ship in a bottle [message #62330] Mon, 18 February 2013 18:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar GarySG  is currently offline GarySG
Go to my shop
I've posted several questions in the last couple days regarding the wax support of the TP and FD/FUD plastics because I'm currently designing a ship in a bottle, where the bottle would be the solid plastic with a hollowed out ship inside, where the wax would be entrapped.

I've come to understand, from reading around, that the team at shapeways will pass my design if they realize that this is what I'm intentionally trying to do. How would I communicate across to them that I intend for the wax to be inside the model? Else they'll reject the design. I seems pretty apparent though, haha.

I've attached an unfinished photo so you know what I'm talking about. And some people have said that it's against regulation to have the wax entrapped, yet I've seen several models printed where that's exactly the case.

index.php?t=getfile&id=27519&private=0

"Hm, I'm so hungry I could eat an entire cow. Gerard, fire up the printer!"
Re: Ship in a bottle [message #62343 is a reply to message #62330 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 22:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi!

I know Matthew our Engineer has given you some feedback on your particular design, so I'll just address the general rules for FUD.

Our guidelines are here:

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted-detail-design-gui delines

and they state that we recommend TWO 2mm escape holes if you are designing a hollow model, so the wax (that we use as support material) can escape easily.

However, though it is not stated, we do allow you to make trapped materials like this design if your design makes it clear that is your intention.

This means leave absolutely NO holes if you want the wax to remain trapped (and create a ship in a bottle effect).

We will be updating the Design Guidelines soon to make them clearer, but hopefully for now this will be helpful!

Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Ship in a bottle [message #62345 is a reply to message #62343 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 22:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
natalia wrote on Mon, 18 February 2013 22:23

This means leave absolutely NO holes if you want the wax to remain trapped (and create a ship in a bottle effect).

Then no support material will be used. Catch 22.
Re: Ship in a bottle [message #62346 is a reply to message #62343 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 22:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, that answers alot of my questions Smile but is what he says true about there being no support material used if there are no escape holes? That seems to go against everything I've been told, haha.

Re: Ship in a bottle [message #62350 is a reply to message #62343 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 23:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
natalia wrote on Mon, 18 February 2013 22:23

Natalia

Natalia will need to update this.. there MUST be micro-hole(s) between the inside and outside shells, or the inner shell is removed by Mesh Medic.

From experience, if you leave a 1mm hole, it confuses the operators - they're not sure whether you wanted it cleaned out or not. A tiny hole such as 0.01mm is sufficient to connect the inner and outer shell, and to trap the support material.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 February 2013 00:01 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Ship in a bottle [message #62351 is a reply to message #62350 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 00:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you for bringing that up, it surely has saved me a lot of strife. I made the hole at the size you suggested, and I can tell that it worked due to the price dropping slightly.

Another thing I'm curious about is how small I can make details. Due to it being inverted, I would assume that the wall thickness rules wouldn't exactly apply to hollowed out gaps.

Re: Ship in a bottle [message #62361 is a reply to message #62330 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 06:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
:facepalm:

That is what (I) get when I hit reply and then leave for the day without double checking my facts.

Stony is correct, tiny holes like 0.01mm in the models are what you need for the ship.

So to be clear, either put two LARGE 2mm holes in your model to have it hollow and free of wax
OR
One TINY 0.01mm between the inner and outer shell to make it clear you DO want to trap the support wax.

Thank you Stony!

Natalia

[Updated on: Tue, 19 February 2013 06:15 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Ship in a bottle [message #62365 is a reply to message #62351 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 08:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
GairBear66 wrote on Tue, 19 February 2013 00:43

Thank you for bringing that up, it surely has saved me a lot of strife. I made the hole at the size you suggested, and I can tell that it worked due to the price dropping slightly.

Another thing I'm curious about is how small I can make details. Due to it being inverted, I would assume that the wall thickness rules wouldn't exactly apply to hollowed out gaps.

Using my Skull in head as an example,

index.php?t=getfile&id=27617&private=0

The gap between the teeth, 0.18mm is just visable, the 0.32mm gap between the teeth & jaw is quie visable, and the detail of the teeth is more or less lost.

Paul

• Attachment: sizes.JPG
    (Size: 57.11KB, Downloaded 139 time(s))

Re: Ship in a bottle [message #62401 is a reply to message #62365 ] Tue, 19 February 2013 19:01 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Some of my dimensions are much smaller than that, I wonder if it will be rejected or just printed as is Surprised

Previous Topic:Seeking advice about 3D printing, animation and hand-made sculpture
Next Topic:wall thickness for Stainless steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.