Home » Support » Suggestions » It's Time to Stop Using UPS--(we did! USPS inside)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #59200 is a reply to message #59196 ] Tue, 25 December 2012 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DavidMulder  is currently offline DavidMulder
Go to all my models
Nah, the only 'anti-Canadian' sentiment i have is that you guys tend to be pretty lucky with lots of services being available to you guys only because you're right next to the US, whilst being neither from an economical or population based point of view more significant than lots and lots of other countries. Still, I have friends who come from Canada, so I can hardly call it an anti-Canadian sentiment... it just felt over the top the way some comments here were implying that *because* you were in Canada you somehow were more important than other countries... still I didn't mean that as negative as you took it. (Btw, @your pre last post, I never mentioned anything about 'per area', I was simply talking about population... when you get to population per area Canada would probably disappear Razz just realized that when reading back your posts carefully)

And with unfair I meant that the vast majority who didn't encounter any problems won't ever post here, so it becomes pretty one sided. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but if someone stumbles upon this thread (like me) without any prior knowledge it seems like both shapeways and UPS are big evils. Personally I even started getting a pretty negative image of UPS till I spoke with that relative of mine I mentioned and found out that the troubles you guys describe happen all over the world with lots of different postal services... and that if you dig around in all the paperwork the postal services provide you can normally also figure out what you can exactly expect... though the postal services tend to be so huge that it's pretty hard (if not impossible) to get a global overview. Either way, my point is, this discussion was pretty one sided no matter how you turn it.

Either way, we understand eachother probably and I too am happy to see that shapeways is looking into more shipping options, but ach, why in the world did I even get into this forum topic Razz .
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #60930 is a reply to message #55350 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 10:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keam  is currently offline Keam
Go to all my models
Just got an outrageous 70 USD fee from UPS.
The products cost me 150 USD, overall paid more than 220 USD for 3 small products.

This is my first order on Shapeways and I had no idea about UPS' extra charge "policy".

Needless to say, I'm furious Mad

index.php?t=getfile&id=26257&private=0
Should These Cost 220 USD?

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62190 is a reply to message #55350 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 18:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
UPS is the best shipper here in the states. USPS destroys everything it touches and frequently delivers late. Fed Ex doesn't like to deliver, ever. The drivers actually walk up to the door with the sticker and no package. I had one cuss at me when I walked out, because he had to go back to the truck and get the package. I've even had them put the sticker on the outer glass door when they could clearly see I was inside.

USPS rejects all claims outright. I ship glass domes where I work, and UPS is the only company that actually honors claims when there is breakage. USPS will deny the claim, even if the packaging is acceptable by UPS standards. The funny thing is, UPS almost never breaks them, maybe 1 in 100. USPS is more like 1 in 5.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 18:09 UTC]

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62192 is a reply to message #62190 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Some very good points, Twopounder, but clearly we need to have a choice. Whereas I likely wouldn't use USPS to have a ceramic item delivered to me I would have no problem with most of the acrylics/nylons (unless the design made it inherently fragile).

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62193 is a reply to message #62190 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
See, this is exactly why we need options. If UPS works for you, you should be able to use it, and if it doesn't, you shouldn't be forced to use it. Maybe there are different standards in the States than in Canada for UPS drivers - a week or two ago I actually saw the driver THROW the package at my door FROM HIS TRUCK, as in, without even getting out. He's lucky I wasn't dressed or I would have run out there to give him a piece of my mind.

I don't think anyone is asking for UPS to stop being an option - we just want other options as well. Personally, I've never had anything come damaged or mishandled with USPS / Canada Post, though that's just me.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62241 is a reply to message #62193 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 16:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
This has been a heated discussion with no reply from an official Shapeways representative. I have a number of potential customers in Canada that won't order from me because of the brokerage charges UPS tacks onto their shipments across the northern border. It seems like a simple thing to fix but I guess that Shapeways doesn't think that 34 million potential customers separated from us by an arbitrary political division shouldn't enjoy this service.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62243 is a reply to message #62241 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 16:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I agree that options are good. Even the drivers can make a difference in which shipping company you prefer.

Roy_Stevens wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 16:02

This has been a heated discussion with no reply from an official Shapeways representative. I have a number of potential customers in Canada that won't order from me because of the brokerage charges UPS tacks onto their shipments across the northern border. It seems like a simple thing to fix but I guess that Shapeways doesn't think that 34 million potential customers separated from us by an arbitrary political division shouldn't enjoy this service.

It's not a political division, and Shapeways has responded in this thread. They're working on it, but it's not a simple fix. I doubt there are many USPS offices in Denmark, and there may be no DHL or Fed Ex shipping locations either. Remember that they are limited to the options available in their own country as well. If they only have one or two choices, and those companies only hand off to UPS, then their hands are tied.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62244 is a reply to message #62243 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Twopounder wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 16:47

I agree that options are good. Even the drivers can make a difference in which shipping company you prefer.

It's not a political division, and Shapeways has responded in this thread. They're working on it, but it's not a simple fix. I doubt there are many USPS offices in Denmark, and there may be no DHL or Fed Ex shipping locations either. Remember that they are limited to the options available in their own country as well. If they only have one or two choices, and those companies only hand off to UPS, then their hands are tied.

My packages are always shipped from New York State in the U.S., not Denmark.

And I agree it's not an easy fix, and I'm happy to wait for them to solve it - however, it should be a priority. This isn't a minor inconvenience, it's a big problem. They said they're working on it and that's great, but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet or heard anything about it since then. It would be nice to be kept updated on what they're doing to solve this issue.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62250 is a reply to message #62244 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
PeregrineStudios wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 16:53

Twopounder wrote on Sun, 17 February 2013 16:47

My packages are always shipped from New York State in the U.S., not Denmark.

And I agree it's not an easy fix, and I'm happy to wait for them to solve it - however, it should be a priority. This isn't a minor inconvenience, it's a big problem. They said they're working on it and that's great, but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet or heard anything about it since then. It would be nice to be kept updated on what they're doing to solve this issue.

You're assuming there is something to post or update about. This could well be a priority for them, but there are logistical problems that could take months to sort out. They might be programming a system to select carriers on check out, but this requires building off the existing UPS/USPS/DHL/Fed Ex API. They also have a development road map they need to follow. Even if this is a priority, they can't drop everything and work on it. Things don't get done when you take that approach, so it gets added to the list and will be addressed when it's turn comes up.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62266 is a reply to message #62250 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 23:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Another item to consider is the cost(s) in some new shipper. I took a quick look on USPS.com this morning and I saw no option for getting a box to Canada for less than $30. I assumed that I picked the wrong options, but that's not the point. USPS is losing money, raising rates, and cutting services every day. By signing a bulk-ship deal with UPS, they got a good price. Breaking that agreement is going to raise the rate, and it's likely to go UP to near whatever the highest priced shipper currently charges.

It is currently difficult enough for Shapeways to deal with keeping all the peices of your order together from separate sub-vendors. Adding a multitude of shipper choices on top of that is going to complicate their internal processes. I can see it requiring nearly double the staff to stay on top of what package goes where.

I know I know, someone is going to declare "it can be done for 'nothing' with software", but that's not entirely accurate. I write software every day. There is always some portion of the operation that requires and depends upon humans.

Yes, I have heard the horror stories, and I feel bad that such things have happened. All that I'm saying here is:
1) Please be patient, it will take time for them to work this out, and I'm not talking days.. it could be many months yet before this gets fixed.
2) Be careful what you ask for. This flexibility may come at a price we're not willing to pay.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #62270 is a reply to message #62266 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 23:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Actually where we will "pay" is in delivery times - USPS being much slower than UPS especially when coming across the border. And, yes, you did pick the wrong choice. I have regularly purchased items from the US and a regular supplier charges $5.80. No robbery at my front door. Yes, I have to wait a lot longer, but if I'm not in a hurry, so what?

Glenn

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #63324 is a reply to message #55350 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 02:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gordonparker  is currently offline gordonparker
Go to all my models
My 2 Canadian cents worth ...

I understand that UPS has an excellent reputation in the US, however, it is another story up here.
The so called brokerage fees are an quasi legal charge for what the Post office does for free.
I have never had a problem having things sent USPS or any European postal service. I pay for my shipping and I get my package,
UPS have been running this scam for years and I refuse to pay it! And it is arbitrary.
The first package from Shapeways arrived quickly, no problems and NO extra charges. Now, for my $31.00 HP o/400 they are demanding $15.00 on top of the shipping I have already paid.
Must I cancel all my future orders until Shapeways stops usuing UPS?

Gord
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #63946 is a reply to message #63324 ] Wed, 13 March 2013 01:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
They've done it again - tracking numbers show 'Delivered', but I was downstairs waiting all day. UPS truck didn't even show up on the street. Contacted Shapeways support, asked them to put a tracer on it (since apparently they want the shipper to do that, not the receiver). Not looking forward to potentially being forced to re-order my items because UPS' incompetence misplaced them. Hopefully I won't have to pay again if that's the case!
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #64846 is a reply to message #55350 ] Mon, 25 March 2013 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rjbeeth  is currently offline rjbeeth
Go to all my models
Well I was just told to check out this thread by Shapeways support after telling them that I didn't want to ship via UPS Laughing

Unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem - I absolutely refuse to purchase from outside into Canada if the only shipping option is UPS. To say that they are rip-off artists is an understatement.

My worst case came from when we stayed at a hotel in California - when we got home we realized that we had left something back at the hotel, we contacted them and they found it and said they would ship it to us free of charge! Which to me was amazing service. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell them to use US Post, they expedited it via UPS instead.

It arrived at our door a couple of days later, and the man in brown said that our cost would be $150! We refused to pay and told him to return to sender. It never arrived back at California - the hotel there was enraged and has since changed shippers.

UPS inside the country (be it USA or Canada or ?) is usually great, they are indeed fast and a very affordable alternative. But when they deliver internationally they are a disaster. The odd time that I missed, or did not realize the shipper was UPS the over all additional cost was anywhere from 50% to 75% higher.

If UPS is Shapeways only shipping option from New York then I really have no option but to cancel what I've already put in my shopping cart and look for another option for my current and future 3D printing needs.

If Shapeways wants to grow, it needs to fix this and fix it soon!

[Updated on: Mon, 25 March 2013 16:00 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #64849 is a reply to message #55350 ] Mon, 25 March 2013 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This has been an ongoing concern since Shapeways opened up shop. I realise it must be difficult to have to implement another shipping option, HOWEVER, I was in contact with another 3DP company in the US recently and told them that since they only use UPS I would not be using their service. About three weeks later management sent me an email saying that they can now ship via US postal service...

Glenn

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #64929 is a reply to message #64849 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar NimlothCQ  is currently offline NimlothCQ
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi guys,

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know that we hear and share your concerns about shipping options, and about shipping to Canada.

We understand that for some of you the (lack of) shipping options and process can be quite frustrating, and wanted to let you know that we hear your concerns despite not being able to bring "fix dates" to the table as part of the good news just yet.

That said, we have identified a few possible solutions to both problem areas. We do not have an exact timeframe for when we can put them into place as there are a few things with a higher priority under the banner of "Customer Happiness" right now such as fixing/improving the "rejections" process.

Again, we apologize for any frustration and inconvenience and ask that you be patient with us until we are able to resolve said frustrations.

Best,

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2013 18:52 UTC]

Christopher Carter
Senior Audience Experience Manager, Shapeways
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #64932 is a reply to message #64929 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 19:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that I definitely appreciate being kept in the loop like this. To me it's the surest sign that the problem is indeed being looked at, as opposed to just P.R. jargon. I definitely can understand that there are issues you want to work out before this one, and I'm just looking forward to when you have time to fix this one Smile
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #65496 is a reply to message #64849 ] Thu, 04 April 2013 19:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gordonparker  is currently offline gordonparker
Go to all my models
So in addition to not having my Shapeways Handley-Page 0/400 as I refused to pay the UPS's brokerage fees, UPS have now sent me a bill for the fees!
Outrageous! And I still don't have my model!
I don't see myself ordering from Shapeways again until they stop using UPS in Canada.
I thought I would post here before I phone the b@#$%rds and scream at them.

Gordon Parker
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #65943 is a reply to message #55350 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 02:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lorddragonmaster  is currently offline lorddragonmaster
Go to my shop
Quite simply I have stopped using shapeway.

It was great while it lasted, and while I may sell things on here, I simply refuse to buy anything anymore.

UPS with their garbage brokerage fees just ruined it.

Nothing like getting a bill for another $25 in brokerage 3 weeks after the item arrived (which only cost $25 to start).

The last thread was from 2011, and you guys talk about working on it and it may take months? It has been years!

It is time for some REAL progress or wait until a location/competitor opens up in Canada.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #65955 is a reply to message #65943 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 03:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kimotion  is currently offline Kimotion
Go to my shop
I've stopped buying from Shapeways as well. I would have around 10 models in my cart and just change my mind at the last minute because of the UPS issue. I have suggested reship.com, but I can't help feeling that it should have to be this way: to have the customer word out a third party shipper to avoid fees (and also have it delivered about 2 weeks after UPS delivers it to the reship address).

I have ordered from other places where they use primarily UPS, BUT use USPS for other countries. I am sure there are complication regarding multiple shippers, but I think losing customers is the biggest complication of all Confused
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #67487 is a reply to message #55350 ] Sun, 05 May 2013 15:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 3rdboxcar  is currently offline 3rdboxcar
Go to my shop
Got to come to Shapeways defense here, I live in the UK, my models come from Eindhoven that involves being picked up by truck in Eindohven, Holland and taken to their depot, transferred on to another truck to Koeln in Germany, transferred on to a plane to Castle Donnington UK, transferred on to a truck to Leeds UK, transferred on to a truck to be delivered to me and all in about 18 hours, the price is probably slightly higher than other methods of post. UPS here in the UK will not just leave it on the doorstep.

I buy a lot of stuff from the USA, if you think UPS is expensive you want to look at what USPS charges to post to Europe. Yes I have to pay brokerage fees and it can be very frustrating [£1.80 VAT £10.00 brokerage fee] so it happens everywhere and it is not the carriers fault but your governments rules about you buying from overseas.

There are swings and roundabouts for everybody and I think not one solution fits everybody so shapeways do their best for an all found compromise.

Alexander. N Scale American modeller. Please visit my shop Boxcar Models.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #67489 is a reply to message #67487 ] Sun, 05 May 2013 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
While I do agree that UPS IS the best option for some, I need to reiterate: Brokerage fees have NOTHING to do with the government. They are NOT levied or charged by the government. If I order the exact same thing and ship it with USPS or FedEx, there is NO brokerage fee. UPS' brokerage fees are levied BY UPS themselves, and nobody else.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #67491 is a reply to message #67489 ] Sun, 05 May 2013 16:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sorry I was maybe a bit vague, but I did not say the government set brokerage fees, what I should maybe have said clearer was that your government DOES set any import duty, VAT or whatever tax rates apply to your country and any carrier not collecting that tax / duty is not conforming to the laws of your country and luckily for us some do not apply the laws rigidly.

Would you do work for somebody else and not expect recompense for doing it? Why should UPS collect taxes and forward them to the government at their expense. I suppose they could drop the brokerage fee and just up the shipping rate for everybody to cover the cost of tax collection.

As I said unfortunately there is no one solution for everybody and in Shapeways case UPS works for me, heaven forbid if I had to trust delivery to our Royal Mail, I cant trust them to deliver a letter to the other side of town never mind receiving a parcel from a foreign country.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #67492 is a reply to message #67491 ] Sun, 05 May 2013 16:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The primary issue people have with UPS is the brokerage fee. VAT, import tax etc. is fine. Nobody here is arguing against paying import duties. The reason we want to ship with someone other than UPS is because we specifically don't want the BROKERAGE fees, which are BY FAR more expensive than any VAT ever could be. Generally speaking, for every $2 you import, UPS charges you $1 in brokerage! Paying half the total cost of the package all over again just to get it is absolutely unacceptable, especially considering that - again - it isn't levied by the government, it's just slapped on by UPS. The ridiculous expense of importing anything over $20 is 100% the fault of UPS.

I also need to reiterate, nobody is suggesting we GET RID of the option to ship using UPS. The problem we have is that right now it is the ONLY option. It's either UPS or nothing. We want options for those of us who simply can't use UPS, that's all.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #67493 is a reply to message #67491 ] Sun, 05 May 2013 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar terenceyan  is currently offline terenceyan
Go to all my models
Well, of course the parcel carrier should be compensated for clearing customs. The problem is everytime the brokerage fee is different. I can order the same item twice from shapeway, shipped to Canada from US by UPS, the brokerage fee is different each time. Looking at the UPS web page, one can never quite figure out what the brokerage fee is ahead of time. It almost feels like a random number made up by the person doing the delivery.

Another point: they don't accept cash for brokerage fee. Either pay with cheque or credit card. With credit card, it's not swiped or cleared in front of you. They write your credit card number down and a few days (one time, weeks later), it shows up on your credit card bill. The whole thing just feels very insecure.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Give us more than 1 shipping option. For people happy with UPS, keep using it. I think those of us in Canada complaining just want another option besides UPS. I'll take FedEx or USPs over UPS any day.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #67496 is a reply to message #55363 ] Sun, 05 May 2013 18:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lgrfbs  is currently offline lgrfbs
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Mon, 15 October 2012 01:40

Yes, I feel your pain.. UPS is not my favorite either, but I do know that it's difficult for a multi-national company to get good shipping rates to all locations.

For them to have two separate shippers, I can imagine that the labor in their distribution process has to at least increase by 50%.

Give them time.. they'll work out something.

I do not believe you, for a multi-national company like Mouser a electronic company can offer: UPS, FedEx and DHL to good price to, so that thing about that will be expansive do I not believe.

I can tell you that here in Sweden we most be at home under working time if we not want to have problem with the delivery. If we have the luck to have the phone number to the driver at UPS, it will only help a little for them most drive out and see a locked door. After this I can call the driver the day after to tell him that I are at work and maybe can take the box at work or my unemployed friend can take the shapeways box instead of my.

I prefer this:
1; The nation post-office, I can go over AFTER work and get my box.
2; UPS, as long I have the phone number.
3; DHL
4; Worst case FedEx, really hard to have to deal with.

Member of JemtRallarna
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #68837 is a reply to message #67492 ] Wed, 29 May 2013 15:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mechanoid  is currently offline Mechanoid
Go to my shop
I am a retired trucker, and after carefully reading thru everything, I finally thought I would add my 2 cents to this. Just something for everyone to keep in mind when dealing with different shipping companies in different countries.

As a trucker, I had to send in documents to the company after each load was done. Here in North America I mainly used FED-EX. For documents handling, there were great. After I retired, I found that my once prized FED-EX may have been great with shipping documents thru out North America. But for actual packages, they sucked like a shop-vac. I've had FED-EX drivers pull up, run up and THROW the package at my front door, and then run like the wind, in hopes they could escape before I got to the door and seen what stupidity they left me. For some reason my local office of FED-EX didn't seem to care one bit about my packages. Infact some of my packages look as if FED-EX people were using it for soccar practice. Sorry that would be FOOTBAL to the rest of you in the world. Sadly FED-EX has tried to weasle their way out of the damage claims I have filed against them. But I had video to prove it, and FED-EX ain't happy about that fact I can tell you.

Were as my local branch of UPS seems to honestly care about how they drop my packages off. They even take a moment to greet me. But sadly I ran into an issue when I sent a very pricey piece of electronic equipment to Detroit using UPS. It seems their branch of UPS is like my branch of FED-EX. And they totally destroyed the equipment costing me nearly 2 grand to replace it right.

I've had packages sent to me from Germany, via German Post that have gotten to me without issue or error. And since DHL has mostly shut down their American operations, all German Post items, once they get into America, are handled by the USPS. Which have managed to actually treat my goods as if they ment something.

Then I sadly must mention our over worked, out dated USPS. I once had a package sent to me from 1,400 miles away, via Priority Mail. Now one would think Priority Mail would take no more than 3 days for service inside the USA. My package went to Saudi Arabia for a 2 week vacation before it got to me. What should have been no more than 3 days, took 17 days, and traveled half way around the world, to go 1,400 miles. And the funny part is, the USPS has YET to apologize for it. The act like it ain't their fault. That I should have been more clear in the addresses that were printed by a computer that a blind man on the moon could see.

I have mentioned these things, mainly as a means to provide context to the shipping company stupidity that our Canadian neighbors to the north seem to be dealing with. What your dealing with where you are, may infact be an isolated event. In other places maybe it's worse, someplaces maybe it's no where near what your dealing with. I know that for myself I have had ShapeWays send me packages from the Neatherlands, where it only took 4 days to travel nearly 8,000 miles. That was before they starting printing stuff in New York. Now it seems to take every bit of 5 days shipping time. And they don't have to deal with customs. So I have to ask why UPS takes longer to ship something 5,500 fewer miles, than it used to take when they had to go thru US customs.

So I feel your pain. Sadly I think stupidity seems to be the letter of the day for most companies these days. Just remember, someone, someplace does have it much worse. Sadly at times I don't see how, but they do.

I.D.I.C. = Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
icon8.gif  Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #69703 is a reply to message #55350 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Steve_Storm  is currently offline Steve_Storm
Go to all my models
Hello,

I also wanted to voice my concern about Shapeways shipping methods. - Location (TO-Canada).

My first 3 models I received from Shapeways were fine, with no addition charges from UPS, so I was very surprised when my 4rth part cost me an additional 14$. My 4rth part was a small metal part, about 1 inch by 1 inch, which cost me 20$ to build + 6.50$ shipping from Shapeways, so all together I paid 40.5$ for a 1 inch part! ... Mad

So from here I have decided that I am no longer going to take any chances with UPS and have started looking for a local 3d printing studio, I did intend on ordering a bunch of models from Shapeways but I'm afraid that UPS will *Ding me again!

One sad customer Sad

Steve

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #69705 is a reply to message #55350 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 17:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah, Steve, in general (and this is by no means always the case) any plastic part under $20 won't incur UPS extra charges. Go over that $20 magic mark and expect to be hit with a $10+ handling fee plus duties and HST combined (I never have figured it out exactly).

Good luck with finding a local company but if you do let me know!

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #69740 is a reply to message #69705 ] Thu, 13 June 2013 08:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Arnaud3D  is currently offline Arnaud3D
Go to all my models
Custom taxes is a little bit like the lottery. True for UPS but also Fedex to Toronto. The only way to avoid this would be to use a classic Airmail service but now you have to deal with insurance and shipping delay...
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #69754 is a reply to message #69740 ] Thu, 13 June 2013 14:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rjbeeth  is currently offline rjbeeth
Go to all my models
Sigh... Arnaud3D it's NOT about the taxes...

It's about the ripoff brokerage fees that UPS charges based on "their" evaluation of what the product being shipped is worth!

Of all shippers UPS is the worst - FEDEX's fees are expensive but at least more consistent. The Post Office is the most reasonable - a flat $5 fee regardless of the packages worth.

I have personally had items, which due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances, double and once tripled in cost once their brokerage fees are added! Plus, as noted, the more expensive the object is, it would seem the higher the percentage UPS charges for themselves!

This has nothing to do with customs or taxes - I gladly pay those but I will not pay UPS's highway robbery fees for "handling" those extra charges!

[Updated on: Thu, 13 June 2013 14:54 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #69803 is a reply to message #69754 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 08:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Arnaud3D  is currently offline Arnaud3D
Go to all my models
For people living in the GTA, try to have your parcel delivered to the UPS Buffalo unit and then go shopping at the Niagara Falls Outlet, buy amazing clothes and pick up your package at the same time. You can even bring the family, make a lot of savings and have a good time Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2013 08:51 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #69822 is a reply to message #55350 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways - unlike their major competitor - don't allow you to ship to an address that isn't in the country you reside...

I have had to use the "other company" a couple of times for this very reason and it sure is handy.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #72715 is a reply to message #69822 ] Tue, 06 August 2013 20:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm beginning to think that if Shapeways is refusing to use another shipping agency (still heard nothing about it) we should start holding them accountable for the brokerage fees.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #72720 is a reply to message #55350 ] Tue, 06 August 2013 23:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Steve_Storm  is currently offline Steve_Storm
Go to all my models
Make sure you fill out the survey they sent out. And please mention this topic! Thanks!
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #72725 is a reply to message #72720 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 03:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lancer525  is currently offline lancer525
Go to all my models

I haven't posted in a very long while, because I have not utilized, and won't ever utilize Shapeways ever again.

Unless or until everyone who is dissatisfied with their shipping options stops using their service, thereby taking revenue away from them, and also explaining in detail WHY there won't be any repeat patronage of Shapeways, they won't care or change. If enough people stop using the service, and telling them that the reason they stopped using it was the extreme failure to follow the wishes of their customer base, then they'll just keep on taking money from the ones who enable them to laugh all the way to the bank.

I voted with my wallet.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #72734 is a reply to message #59200 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 08:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
DavidMulder wrote on Tue, 25 December 2012 21:01

I spoke with that relative of mine I mentioned and found out that the troubles you guys describe happen all over the world with lots of different postal services... and that if you dig around in all the paperwork the postal services provide you can normally also figure out what you can exactly expect... .

It is about time that people direct their disgust about brokerage fees at the appropriate place,
Shapeways have no control over brokerage fees.
Brokerage fees are applied by the carrier to cover their costs in administering your tax system. If you are unhappy about the brokerage rates contact UPS.

I wonder how many of you would come to UPS defence if they ignored your countries tax laws and were prosecuted?

I wonder how many of the moaners here would run a business and do work for other people for nothing?

As I have said in previous posts UPS provide an excellent service to me.

Alexander

PS - that said I do sympathise, when I buy from US or Canada into the UK I am hit with brokerage fees.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #72741 is a reply to message #72734 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 12:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
3rdboxcar wrote on Wed, 07 August 2013 08:37

DavidMulder wrote on Tue, 25 December 2012 21:01

I spoke with that relative of mine I mentioned and found out that the troubles you guys describe happen all over the world with lots of different postal services... and that if you dig around in all the paperwork the postal services provide you can normally also figure out what you can exactly expect... .

It is about time that people direct their disgust about brokerage fees at the appropriate place,
Shapeways have no control over brokerage fees.
Brokerage fees are applied by the carrier to cover their costs in administering your tax system. If you are unhappy about the brokerage rates contact UPS.

I wonder how many of you would come to UPS defence if they ignored your countries tax laws and were prosecuted?

I wonder how many of the moaners here would run a business and do work for other people for nothing?

As I have said in previous posts UPS provide an excellent service to me.

Alexander

PS - that said I do sympathise, when I buy from US or Canada into the UK I am hit with brokerage fees.

Our disgust is being directed to exactly the right place. Shapeways does not charge the brokerage fees. But they force us to exclusively use the only carrier that charges them.

In the ideal, perfect universe, brokerage fees would cover the carrier's costs. That's the 'idea'. I'm sorry, but the carrier's 'costs' for signing a piece of paper are never $40, $70, $100+. It's a cash grab, plain and simple. Other carriers don't even charge the brokerage fee, because we already paid them to ship our package.

No one is suggesting that UPS ignore tax laws.

Again, no one is suggesting that they do work for nothing. They have already been paid to ship our package.

I'm glad they work so well for you. They do not for a great many of us. We need options.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #72746 is a reply to message #67489 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar thewild  is currently offline thewild
Go to all my models
I also agree to this message! I'm from Switzerland and just received the shipment from Shapeways...UPS charged me around Euro 20 brokerage fees for an item i paid Euro 16.05!

I work a lot with courier companies due to my job in the aviation industry, and in Switzerland UPS does have the highest brokerage fees. So, they decide how much the charge, not any law nor regulations. If i see what for example Fedex or the classic Mail (Post) charges, it is less than half of the price! For example the Swiss Post charges nothing for goods below Euro 50, because private persons do not have to pay any VAT below a value of approx Euro 50. Therefore they don't have any expenditure and they don't charge anything.

The only thing i wonder is, why Shapeways does not allow the customer to choose the way of shipping?! If they would, their customer could not complain, since they made the shipping decision not Shapeways.

As long as Shapeways does not give the customer the possibility to choose the freight forwarder, i don't order anything.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #72747 is a reply to message #72741 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
UPS works perfectly for me, I could not be more happy with it. But for all those for whom it does not, you have my sympathies.

A suggestion - perhaps as the Shapeways contract with UPS is presumably worth something and they therefore have some leverage (and perhaps more importantly a specified contact at UPS) Shapeways could undertake to:

1. Find out what the charges should be and why/if they must be levied. Perhaps there could be some discretion at some point and SW could get this to happen;
2. Find out the parameters such that if they must be charged they may be minimised by clever order size etc.

If you cannot add an extra delivery option SW, perhaps you can use your connection to get some kind of interim solution.

Pages (5): [ «    1  2  3  4  5    »] 

Previous Topic:Update the 3D Preview on a Model
Next Topic:Issues raised in Bug Reporting section should be acknowledged by Shapeways

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.