Home » Support » 3D Design » Programmable LED Lights?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Programmable LED Lights? [message #61743] Sun, 10 February 2013 16:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar BobCummingsDesigns  is currently offline BobCummingsDesigns
Go to all my models
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with
placing miniature LED lights (or fiber optic) lights
that you could program to change colors that
can be placed inside a 3d sculpture?

Thanks,
Bob
Re: Programmable LED Lights? [message #62077 is a reply to message #61743 ] Thu, 14 February 2013 23:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
It works well with the WSF material. Nowadays, single RGB LED's are available with built-in circuitry to cycle through colors. You can simply place a cr2032 battery between the leads (like an LED throwie), and that will go by itself for a few days of constant use.

If you want something more permanent and controllable, there are screw-in style full-color LED fixtures with remote available at absurdly cheap prices. If you want to roll your own and write your own custom program with multiple channels, etc, you could probably put something together from Adafruit parts/kits for less than $50.

Personally, I would love for Shapeways to offer LEDs, cr2032s, and magnets (essentially the components of LED throwies, which are available dirt cheap in bulk) the same way they had earing hooks and necklaces. I have run this by some of them and response was lukewarm, but I'll bet a handful of nice examples would be more convincing.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Programmable LED Lights? [message #62088 is a reply to message #62077 ] Fri, 15 February 2013 03:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BobCummingsDesigns  is currently offline BobCummingsDesigns
Go to all my models
sounds like a good idea for Shapeways to take up.
I'm also interested in getting one of my 3d sculptures
to float in the air with magnets.Amazon is sell
Levitron Revolution Platform With EZ Float Technology,
do you have any experience with that?
Re: Programmable LED Lights? [message #62187 is a reply to message #62088 ] Sat, 16 February 2013 15:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I have seen magnetic levitation demos, but I haven't considered to display my work. Most of my items are over the 13 gram max weight, but I can imagine that working well for dynamic designs that look good spinning.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog

Previous Topic:ready for print my first parts
Next Topic:Design, structurally sound

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.