Home »  » 3D Design » Split a model for printable size
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Split a model for printable size [message #62100] Fri, 15 February 2013 09:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar barniboy  is currently offline barniboy
Go to all my models
Is there a good way of splitting a model part in SolidWorks, in order to make each piece fit a SLS 3D printer ?
After printing I could glue-up all pieces to one big part again.
Can a part be split along some inserted planes ?
My part is like a thin-walled shell.

Best regards
B.G. Rasmussen
Re: Split a model for printable size [message #62111 is a reply to message #62100 ] Fri, 15 February 2013 14:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I don't know Solidworks, but in my software, I can draw a line, then split my model along that line. You may be able to email service about this, and they may be able to help you out.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Split a model for printable size [message #62139 is a reply to message #62100 ] Fri, 15 February 2013 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Try copying the original part then doing an extruded cut that eliminates the entire bottom half on one copy and do the same thing eliminating the top half of the other copy. Add some alignment tabs to the pieces so they will fit back together securely and in perfect alignment.

Next you'll need to place both of the pieces into a new assembly and add some sprues between them to create one easy to handle part for 3D printing. Save the finished Assembly as a Part, use the Combine command to join all the solids in the part as one piece and save the result as an STL to upload at Shapeways.
Re: Split a model for printable size [message #62499 is a reply to message #62139 ] Wed, 20 February 2013 23:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Enkountor  is currently offline Enkountor
Go to all my models
If you want to get more technical with it you can do what the above says about extrude cutting, but make a configuration for the part for each. That way if you make any changes you don't have to change both separate files.

Previous Topic:How do I get my Radius round not steped?
Next Topic:3d Printing for Research Use - Safe material for strong bases?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.