Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » cast in brass rather than silver?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
cast in brass rather than silver? [message #60117] Sun, 13 January 2013 05:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar rlenicheck  is currently offline rlenicheck
Go to all my models
Would you guys consider casting pieces in brass rather than silver? I see that your silver pieces look as if they are printed and then used for a pattern to cast using the lost wax method?
Re: cast in brass rather than silver? [message #62075 is a reply to message #60117 ] Thu, 14 February 2013 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
THat is indeed exactly how our 3D printed silver process works.

They are 3D printed in wax and then cast using the lost wax casting method.

Currently we do not offer brass, but we are looking into offering other metals soon!

Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: cast in brass rather than silver? [message #69504 is a reply to message #60117 ] Sun, 09 June 2013 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar replicaprops  is currently offline replicaprops
Go to my shop
I'm bumping this because I also want brass as an option.

Brass is a great metal and I have used it in lost wax castings many times before. If you use 360 yellow brass it is actually easier to cast than silver is. It is also easier to polish and finish.

Please, please offer brass soon.
Re: cast in brass rather than silver? [message #70903 is a reply to message #60117 ] Wed, 03 July 2013 17:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mingles  is currently offline mingles
Go to my shop
Definitely would be interested in this. Gold plating the brass would be a fantastic thing to see too.
Re: cast in brass rather than silver? [message #71040 is a reply to message #70903 ] Fri, 05 July 2013 15:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kaltas  is currently offline kaltas
Go to all my models
Are there any black metalis options available? like in the movie. Which materials exactly can an item like this be printed in? Thanks Guys
Re: cast in brass rather than silver? [message #71175 is a reply to message #60117 ] Mon, 08 July 2013 14:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Like in what movie? If you look in the post production section, I've seen bleach and eggs used to achieve a black patina.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: cast in brass rather than silver? [message #74212 is a reply to message #70903 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 02:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TrainThingz  is currently offline TrainThingz
Go to my shop
OK, well we've got gold plated brass now, using the lost wax process... and this was MY thought too as soon as I saw it what was inside the gold. Why not make it possible to just leave off the gold plating?

Model makers (particularly ship and railroad modellers) as well as jewelers have used the lost wax process for brass parts for a LONG time... the process itself is over 5000 years old! Now, I understand why you might want to... shall we say restrict the size of brass parts? And I won't say why... But there are some things for which it's just so much better than anything else... and being able to get real cast brass bits for modelling would be fantastic. I'm not quite ready to try it yet, but this would be SO much superior to Aluminide... You'd get real, solid metal, that you could actually tap and screw into, or solder for assembly, at a reasonable (well, more reasonable than gold or silver...) price.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 September 2013 02:08 UTC]

Re: cast in brass rather than silver? [message #74214 is a reply to message #60117 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 03:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar replicaprops  is currently offline replicaprops
Go to my shop
Hey shapeways. Your competition offers unplated brass castings already. They just dont have stores for the members ........................YET!!
Don't drop the ball on this. The brass ball that is
Re: cast in brass rather than silver? [message #74260 is a reply to message #60117 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 14:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Hey guys, we have a thread just for your thoughts on gold plated brass and what direction we should go. We are aware of the competition, and we are listening to what the people want.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Global product histograms
Next Topic:Searching someone's shop

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.