Home » Community » General Discussion » Lighting a sculpture / Glow
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Lighting a sculpture / Glow [message #61928] Wed, 13 February 2013 05:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar BobCummingsDesigns  is currently offline BobCummingsDesigns
Go to all my models
Does anyone have any experience with installing
miniature lights (LED) inside a 3d sculpture?
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #61932 is a reply to message #61928 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 06:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What are your questions? It's not all that difficult if the geometry of the model allows it.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #61954 is a reply to message #61932 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 14:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi,

My sculpture is 12 inches in height and has a number of curves
to it (picture two figure 8's as a reference).

Ideally I'd like the 3d sculpture to glow, with the light
starting at one point and progressing along inside till
the entire piece is lite.

or

a simpler version would be that the glow starts off very dim
and slowly grows in intensity inside the entire piece.

I realize now that just putting in small LED lights is not the
look I'm going for because that won't give me the glow
look and be more of a spot light look.

If you have any thoughts on how to do this I would
greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
bob
Can a 3d sculpture Glow [message #61956 is a reply to message #61928 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 14:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi,

I'm making a 3d sculpture that's 12 inches in height
and has a number of curves to it
(picture two figure 8's as a reference).

Ideally I'd like the 3d sculpture to glow, with the light
starting at one point and progressing along inside till
the entire piece is lite.

or

a simpler version would be that the glow starts off very dim
and slowly grows in intensity inside the entire piece.

I realize that just putting in small LED lights is not the
look I'm going for because that won't give me the glow
look and be more of a spot light look.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to do this I would
greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
bob
Re: Can a 3d sculpture Glow [message #61957 is a reply to message #61956 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 14:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Paint it with glow in the dark paint? The glow of the paint won't charge itself, but it will charge faster/brighter closest to the light source. Just an idea.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #61961 is a reply to message #61954 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 15:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mhagan  is currently offline Mhagan
Go to my shop
I work here
You might want to try LED strips http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=C3351881 and http://adafruit.com/products/306 for example. They are easy to install even in tight spaces and produce a fairly even directional light.

3D Printing Engineer | Shapeways
icon14.gif  Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #61962 is a reply to message #61961 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 15:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Mhagan,
Terrific!!! That's the ticket! Also appreciated the website that had the video of how they lite the pumpkin. Thanks!!!
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #61963 is a reply to message #61954 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 15:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Can you make it hollow, and thread LED strips inside ? (I seem to remember that someone posted
images of a translucent nautilus shell in "full color sandstone" sometime last summer - ah yes,
here it is)
For lighting from below, i.e. putting the sculpture on a small stand with an LED inside (seen this for
sale with some more or less esoteric glass or plastic object on top) one of the acrylic materials
(detail/ultra detail) is probably your best bet.

EDIT: garbled url...

[Updated on: Wed, 13 February 2013 16:03 UTC]

Re: Can a 3d sculpture Glow [message #61965 is a reply to message #61956 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 16:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Perhaps you could try something with EL-wire?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescent_wire
Or Leds with glass-fibers, where the end point end up in different concentrations around the sculpture.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Can a 3d sculpture Glow [message #61968 is a reply to message #61965 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
This is what I've been looking for, without knowing exactly what is was. Thank you so very much.
I give the Electroluminescent Wire a glowing review!!! Thanks again!
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #61969 is a reply to message #61963 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 16:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah, the problem with LEDs is they are highly directional. What you could do is design a 3D printed diffuser that goes over the LEDs to diffuse the light. Or you can buy diffused LEDs. Diffused LEDs are designed to be less directional. Like these.

Completely aside from LEDs is EL wire. I first learned of this when I went to Burning Man one year. This stuff is amazing! Very Happy

One other option I can think of is seeing about making your sculpture design into an actual light by making it into a neon light. I don't know if anyone's ever tried this with 3D printed materials, but it might be fun to look into.

Oh, and if you only need a temporary lighting effect you can use glow sticks. And since the chemicals that make the glow are nontoxic you can break open a glow stick and coat the inside of your sculpture to have a lighting effect that lasts for numerous hours. I once opened a red glow stick and painted the eyes of a gargoyle sculpture red and they glowed red all night. Smile

James

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #61977 is a reply to message #61969 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 18:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That's an interesting thought, about making the whole sculpture
into a light. Having it made in Neon would probably be way to expensive.
Can Shapeways print in glass?
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #61979 is a reply to message #61963 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 18:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
So very helpful! Thanks for the link to the Nautilus Shell
and placing the sculpture on a lite base.
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #62019 is a reply to message #61977 ] Thu, 14 February 2013 11:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
They did print in glass but recently abandon that material cuz of lack of interest.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 February 2013 11:58 UTC]

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Lighting a sculpture / Glow [message #62029 is a reply to message #61928 ] Thu, 14 February 2013 12:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I have merged your two topics about the same subject.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Lighting a sculpture / Glow [message #62035 is a reply to message #62029 ] Thu, 14 February 2013 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
thanks
Re: Lighting a sculpture [message #63327 is a reply to message #62019 ] Wed, 06 March 2013 03:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar modelmade  is currently offline modelmade
Go to all my models
Thats terrible news, I spent quite some time fixing the model so I can get it printed in glass....
Is it possible to do a custom material request for glass?

Previous Topic:iPhone 4S case
Next Topic:Soliddoodle 3D 3rd generation

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.