Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Creating threaded holes for screws
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Creating threaded holes for screws [message #46317] Mon, 02 April 2012 13:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar rraman  is currently offline rraman
Go to all my models
I have created a model to be 3D printed that requires a threaded hole for screws. I intend to use the "White, Strong, and Flexible" material. According to Shapeways support, this material will not withstand having a screw threaded into it multiple times.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? Did you have threaded metal insets which could be plugged into the hole that the screw can be inserted into? Is there another solution to this problem? I'd really appreciate help! Thanks.
Re: Creating threaded holes for screws [message #46399 is a reply to message #46317 ] Tue, 03 April 2012 17:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tamert  is currently offline Tamert
Go to all my models
I commonly tap holes in WSF (just leave the right diameter hole in the model and then use a tapping set) for bolts. I haven't ran into any problems. I would assume the problem would arise if you didn't tape the hole and just tried to use a self threading screw just like any other material.
Re: Creating threaded holes for screws [message #51424 is a reply to message #46317 ] Mon, 16 July 2012 15:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar oopsclunkthud  is currently offline oopsclunkthud
Go to my shop
I've been able to print threads into WSF. They come out a bit undersized, this worked out well for my part but you may have to play with the clearances a bit.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/428485/
Re: Creating threaded holes for screws [message #61883 is a reply to message #46317 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 15:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bobquincy  is currently offline bobquincy
Go to all my models
I tap holes in WSF, 2mm and 3mm for use with nylon screws. No problems yet. For steel screws and frequent use it may be best to use Helicoils or Timeserts.

Previous Topic:Smooth out the SLS parts... any home solutions? Vibratory Tumbler?
Next Topic:Filling the void...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.