Home » Community » Work in progress » Custom Toyota Emblem for a gtfour
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Custom Toyota Emblem for a gtfour [message #49698] Mon, 11 June 2012 20:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar NoriToy  is currently offline NoriToy
Go to all my models
I have a 1992 Gtfour I had been building for a while. For those who don't know its a rare rally car Toyota used to sell so they could compete in the WRC. I have done a lot to it, and I was not wanting to put a plain toyota badge on the front. I wanted something smaller and more interesting.

I ran across this thread when looking for a custom emblem so I decided to design my own.
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6266

The design is inspired by the toyota logo of the early 1900s. This text is what caused them to change their name from Toyoda to Toyota as 8 strokes were considered lucky.

I first drew it up in illustrator.
http://distilleryimage9.instagram.com/d56188b8aa8611e1b00112313800c5e4_7.jpg

I then brought it over the lightwave and sculpted it.
http://distilleryimage3.instagram.com/38ae3f2aaadb11e188131231381b5c25_7.jpg

I added it to shape ways and it looks like about $70 to produce. The tickest areas were about 5.5mm and the thinnest 3mm. I am curious if this stuff bends at all or just breaks at tension.

I decided I am going to remake it to where it is 3 parts. I need to make a new text for the middle, but the outer ring would be stainless and the text would be as well. The backing would be a plastic that they fit into, then when the colored resin is poured into it, it would fill the plastic sections.
Re: Custom Toyota Emblem for a gtfour [message #49701 is a reply to message #49698 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The stainless is very stiff and strong. The plastic area depends which plastic you choose. 3mm thick White strong and flexible, won't be as flexible as the name implies, and should be strong enough to be very difficult to snap.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Custom Toyota Emblem for a gtfour [message #61821 is a reply to message #49698 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar paul3d  is currently offline paul3d
Go to all my models
How did you get along with your toyota emblem?
Re: Custom Toyota Emblem for a gtfour [message #61830 is a reply to message #49698 ] Mon, 11 February 2013 23:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar NoriToy  is currently offline NoriToy
Go to all my models
I ended up scrapping it. I mocked up a couple and I did not like how it looked on the car. I opted for a black toyota logo from a supra instead. Going to make some other things instead.

Previous Topic:Some silver poker-related bling
Next Topic:Uploading issues

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.