Home » Support » 3D Design » Need an experienced eye to check my models for printability issues
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need an experienced eye to check my models for printability issues [message #61742] Sun, 10 February 2013 16:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar NuttyMonk  is currently offline NuttyMonk
Go to my shop
Hi all,

i was just wondering if anyone could check out 2 of my models for printability. I've done a netfabb on them but am a little confused with why my errors are occurring. I use C4D V11 and have read all of the tutes on the shapeways site.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

NM

Re: Need an experienced eye to check my models for printability issues [message #61746 is a reply to message #61742 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
The 6 sided dice is repaired.
The 4 sided dice has a number of internal meshes that need to be deleted. See screenshot. It would be easier to delete them in the original software you used to create the model. If you try to repair it in Netfabb it will just create new faces which will fill the 'number triangles'.
You could try to repair it in Meshlab.
Use the 'Filters - Cleaning and Repairing'. Show Layer Dialog so you can see what each one does. Then Export your file as Stl and open it in Netfabb to see if it still needs repairing.
index.php?t=getfile&id=27009&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Need an experienced eye to check my models for printability issues [message #61754 is a reply to message #61746 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 21:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks very much Jacant.

Did you just use netfabb's standard repair settings to do that or did it involve some manual work too?

It seemed pretty watertight to me from just looking at it but it had a high number of holes when i first put it into netfabb. I don't really understand how that could be happening. Is there something i can do when building a model in C4D that would stop that from happening?

Cheers

NM
Re: Need an experienced eye to check my models for printability issues [message #61759 is a reply to message #61754 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 22:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
There was a bit of manual work involved in Netfabb
I did an automatic repair. Then I did another Repair. This time you can see the extra faces that are on the surface. Using the tools in the tool bar in Repair mode, You can create or delete triangle or faces from each shell. I chose 'Select Triangles' and using the shift key selected all of the extra triangles that are joined together, then deleted them by either right click 'Remove selected triangles' or the icon on the tool bar. Underneath them you will find another layer with red faces. Be careful and select these triangles and delete them. Sometimes there is another layer, do the same again. Once you can see inside, right click on the edge of the open hole it will be yellow, now choose close hole, which creates a new face. Spin your model round and do the same for the other sides. Once you have finished click on Apply repair. GoTo - Part - Export Part, you may have to click on Repair to get a green tick.

The way these are created in the first place is that you are leaving extra lines and surfaces in your model. Try to delete all extra lines you do not need. In some software especially Sketchup if you leave extra lines, the software creates extra faces on top of each other.

index.php?t=getfile&id=27023&private=0

• Attachment: 6 dice.png
    (Size: 507.06KB, Downloaded 105 time(s))

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Need an experienced eye to check my models for printability issues [message #61766 is a reply to message #61759 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 23:38 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Cool, thanks for that description.

I'm gonna think about how i create my models from the start now, and not just how to make them work once i've finished them.

Cheers

NM

Previous Topic:Printing moving parts
Next Topic:multiple holes in silver

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.