Home » Community » General Discussion » can't get shapes to union
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
can't get shapes to union [message #61484] Wed, 06 February 2013 19:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar prismspecs  is currently offline prismspecs
Go to all my models
I need a shape roughly 10mm x 10mm x 180mm with 16 cylindrical holes that are exactly 6.5mm in diameter. I want the overall shape to be hollow as well to save money. I made such a shape, though I cannot join the cylinders with the quad. I think this is because they are touching but not overlapping.. I've attached the model, any help would be great.

• Attachment: 2.blend
    (Size: 1.65MB, Downloaded 15 time(s))

Re: can't get shapes to union [message #61510 is a reply to message #61484 ] Thu, 07 February 2013 08:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

I tried to open your file in Blender but my Blender crashed (2.64 been having problems with files of my own...)

Anyway, I came up with this, don't know if it helps:

1. Take the cube, dimension it as required (I use the 1BU = 1mm method);
2. Apply Scale to the cube object;
3. Create a cylinder radius 3.25 BU, length 20 BU, fan fill;
4. Move the cylinder to one end or the other of the cube object, centerd on the cube, with some of the cylinder protuding from each side.
5. Add array modifier to cylinder with Fixed count, count = 16, and adjust the offsets (I used relative and something like 1.71) until the array is where you want it to be;
6. Apply the array modifier;
7. Select the cube object and add a Boolean Modifier, using Difference and Cylinder;
8. Apply the modifier, and move the cylinder array out of the way (for clarity);
9. Select the Cube Object and go into Edit mode.
10. Ensure no vertices are selected, and then one at a time remove the 2 end faces (the 10x10BU ones);
11. Return to Object mode and add a Solidify modifier with a thickness of ? (this depends on what material you want to use, strength required etc, etc). In the example below I used 1 BU but looking at it the drainage spaces may not be big enough.
12. Apply and voila!

Check this out:

[Updated on: Thu, 07 February 2013 09:00 UTC]

Previous Topic:3D Printing Prices - Where Will They Go?
Next Topic:Can we print separate pieces that are not physically connected in one file?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.