Home »  » Shapeways Shops » Fluctuating Markups
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Fluctuating Markups [message #61242] Sat, 02 February 2013 19:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar PenistoneRailwayWorks  is currently offline PenistoneRailwayWorks
Go to my shop
I've noticed recently that the markup on items in my shop fluctuates slightly from what I had originally set. All prices appear in Euros and I'm assuming that as the exchange rate Shapeways uses changes then you update not only the cost of the model but the markup as well. Can I suggest that this probably isn't what most of us expect or want. I would assume that if (for example) I apply a mark up of 1.5 euros then that should always be the markup regardless of the base price.

I think there are a number of options any of which would make the markup easier to manage
- make the markup a fixed amount not dependent on exchange rate
- allow the markup to be a percentage of the base price rather than an actual amount
- simple show the cost (and markup) in dollars so that the exchange rate is taken out of the equation meaning the markup won't fluctuate
Re: Fluctuating Markups [message #61247 is a reply to message #61242 ] Sat, 02 February 2013 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Thank you for pointing this out.
I think this option would be best for most people
- simple show the cost (and markup) in dollars so that the exchange rate is taken out of the equation meaning the markup won't fluctuate

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Fluctuating Markups [message #61273 is a reply to message #61247 ] Sun, 03 February 2013 18:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Quote:

- simply show the cost (and markup) in dollars so that the exchange rate is taken out of the equation meaning the markup won't fluctuate

This is not a simple fix and goes to the underlying way that SW store pricing data and indeed deal with selling in multiple currencies.

I presume that SW in fact store all their prices in dollars and this is precisely why the problem is occurring. The markup for a Eur based designer is input in Eur, the update function converts to dollars, saves to the database in dollars and then reconverts whenever an item price is shown to an Eur client using the current rate.

IF SW store their price information in Eur, then we would be ok but the US designers would have the same problem.

There is no way to guarantee ALL designers the mark-up they input in their own currency unless the pricing data is stored in original currency and the conversion presented to customers as necessary as based on the prevailing exchange rates. This is the most elegant solution, would be super handy if SW roll out to other currencies (I think I've heard of something called the pound...) but will be a real pain if the database has not been designed to take it.

This multi-currency solution would also enable a fix to all the PayPal conversion issues, I would imagine. But the fact that these are occurring in the first place also leads me to believe that the SW database is single currency with a whole lot of converting going on...
Re: Fluctuating Markups [message #61276 is a reply to message #61273 ] Sun, 03 February 2013 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PenistoneRailwayWorks  is currently offline PenistoneRailwayWorks
Go to my shop
AmLachDesigns wrote on Sun, 03 February 2013 18:00

This is not a simple fix and goes to the underlying way that SW store pricing data and indeed deal with selling in multiple currencies.

Actually I think (as someone who write computer software for a living) that this should actually be a simple fix. I'm assuming (as you did) that SW store all the amounts in dollars and then convert to Euro's for display purposes. I think the best solution would be to show the price (and markup) always in dollars on the product edit page, no matter the users location. This would mean that the price only changes if the cost per cm3 changes and the markup will stay static. These static amounts can then be converted to Euros everywhere else on the site without changing the underlying data.

I'd be happier, as a person who shops in Euros on SW (even though my bank account is in Sterling) to know that I was always going to get a markup of X Euros but given that isn't stable, then I'd prefer to set a fixed amount in dollars instead.
Re: Fluctuating Markups [message #61278 is a reply to message #61276 ] Sun, 03 February 2013 18:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
More info in this thread:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=1 0744&goto=53590#msg_53590

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2013 18:54 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Fluctuating Markups [message #61287 is a reply to message #61276 ] Mon, 04 February 2013 01:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
PenistoneRailwayWorks wrote on Sun, 03 February 2013 18:29

I'd be happier, as a person who shops in Euros on SW (even though my bank account is in Sterling) to know that I was always going to get a markup of X Euros but given that isn't stable, then I'd prefer to set a fixed amount in dollars instead.

And you get paid in dollars when you sell anything. The fact is that the primary currency at SW is dollars, price per volume is based on it; shipping, gift papers, etc, all dollars too. Then, secondary, they support (and until new notice, lock part of the world to) Euros (and the other part is locked to dollars), applying a rate that changes every now and then. If you sell anything and reinvest, you are losing around 5%.

Previous Topic:Display order
Next Topic:Goodbye Glass December 6th

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.