Home » Support » 3D Printing » ORIENTATION: One piece with two faces.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
ORIENTATION: One piece with two faces. [message #50745] Tue, 03 July 2012 15:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar DarioScapittaDesign  is currently offline DarioScapittaDesign
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I've just received my order, and just want to show, one more time, with some pictures of the pieces received how is important to be able to determinate print orientation.

In the picture you can see an armband and a ring, from my BLACK WIDOW Collection, as you can see side one side in both pieces has a very bad quality. I have other 5 BLACK WIDOW armbands at home printed with the correct orientation (the uploaded file position) and they are just perfects.

I've already sent an e-mail to the CS, I know what they can do.

This post is just to remember how the possibility to choose the correct orientation is very helpful for the final quality.

index.php?t=getfile&id=18173&private=0

Hoping to hear also your opinion,

Cheers, Smile

Dario

• Attachment: EXAMPLE.jpg
    (Size: 204.28KB, Downloaded 281 time(s))

Dario Scapitta Design
www.darioscapittadesign.com
Re: ORIENTATION: One piece with two faces. [message #50902 is a reply to message #50745 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 11:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar thomashuang.net  is currently offline thomashuang.net
Go to my shop
I would really like to be able to select print orientation, which is very important for my products. I make camera accessories which clamp onto lenses so the cylindrical shape needs to be printed perpendicular to the print surface to maintain as much of a circular shape, otherwise it may sag and may not clamp evenly or securely around the lens.

I was under the assumption last year that print orientation was being looked into but haven't seen any recent news.
Re: ORIENTATION: One piece with two faces. [message #50920 is a reply to message #50745 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 13:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey guys, orientation is on the way! It's not an instant process, as we want to keep the price the same/similar, and there are a few things currently in process to make this a possibility. As Bart mentioned on the feedback page, this won't be tomorrow, and is possibly 2-3 months out. But the steps in the process should also improve quality as they are implemented.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: ORIENTATION: One piece with two faces. [message #50924 is a reply to message #50920 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 15:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DarioScapittaDesign  is currently offline DarioScapittaDesign
Go to my shop
Hi Youknowwho4eva!

Thanks for this update, it is a good news. Orientation is really important, it prevents a lot of quality issues!

Keep us updated about this,
thanks again! Smile

Dario

Dario Scapitta Design
www.darioscapittadesign.com
Re: ORIENTATION: One piece with two faces. [message #50943 is a reply to message #50745 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar matt_atknsn  is currently offline matt_atknsn
Go to my shop
Many thanks Youknowwho4eva for the heads-up!

Selfishly speaking, this will turn a lot of my models from 'ok' (only 1 item in my latest order 'winning the lottery', i.e. getting printed in the preferred orientation) into "OMGWT*BBQ!"

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that, FWIW, my (main) models utilizes Frosted Ultra Detail materials

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2012 20:50 UTC]

Re: ORIENTATION: One piece with two faces. [message #60269 is a reply to message #50943 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 20:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
Any sign of fixed print orientation yet? I know Shapeways are 'looking into it,' whatever that means, but my shop has been suspended for over a year now, and I cannot bring it back online until I get fixed print orientation. My customers are asking me continually when my models are becoming available again. What can I tell them? I'd love to have some definite idea when to expect this, thanks.
Re: ORIENTATION: One piece with two faces. [message #61233 is a reply to message #50920 ] Sat, 02 February 2013 11:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar andersb  is currently offline andersb
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Fri, 06 July 2012 13:51

Hey guys, orientation is on the way! ... is possibly 2-3 months out...

Hej
As the previous writer I have great problems using Shapeways services until this is solved.

When can we expect this feature to be available?

thanks
Anders

Previous Topic:size to grid in 3dmax
Next Topic:Dimensions