Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Light permeable
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Light permeable [message #6112] Fri, 28 August 2009 14:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar QuintonHeckroth  is currently offline QuintonHeckroth
Go to all my models
Currently I'm creating a small cube which will house a small LED or bulb. There is a small cut-out which will let the light escape, which will be covered by a thin piece of film (http://i28.tinypic.com/34dpues.jpg) - it's a little soppy but what the hell! Twisted Evil

My question is: Do the materials have varying levels of translucency? The last thing I want is for all the light to escape out of the material!

If worst comes to worst, is there anything I could line my housing with?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Quinton
Re: Light permeable [message #6114 is a reply to message #6112 ] Fri, 28 August 2009 15:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
The base material WSF (White, Strong, and Flexable) will easily let light escape. It's quite translucent. But a little paint can easily cure that.
Re: Light permeable [message #6120 is a reply to message #6112 ] Fri, 28 August 2009 18:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar QuintonHeckroth  is currently offline QuintonHeckroth
Go to all my models
Thanks WiKKiDWidgets for a quick response!

I was afraid that'd be the issue. So you're suggesting a quick lick of black paint on the inside, or perhaps coating it all?

Quinton
Re: Light permeable [message #6123 is a reply to message #6120 ] Fri, 28 August 2009 19:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
Depending on your application, either will suffice. Albeit, I'd steer you towards painting it all as WSF has a very permeable surface and might let some paint bleed through if not sufficiently thick enough.
Re: Light permeable [message #6163 is a reply to message #6123 ] Sun, 30 August 2009 04:45 UTC Go to previous message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
It won't soak in if you use a spray putty or primer first.

Every part I paint gets some 3 coats of spray putty and 1 coat of primer, rubbed back inbetween coats, before paint even touches it.

That said, light won't escape at all if your wall sections are 5mm+

Previous Topic:Yet another non-manifold C4D object
Next Topic:Non manifold?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.