Home »  » Introductions » Hi from Seattle WA
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hi from Seattle WA [message #1408] Tue, 23 September 2008 22:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar Fingers  is currently offline Fingers
Go to my shop

My name is Iikka Keränen. My professional background is in video game development, mostly as a level designer (Valve software since 2001) but I do "art for art's sake" whenever I have the time and inspiration.

I'm really excited about the possibilities of 3D printing as it combines the convenience of 3D modelling software with an end product that I can touch, or show someone without a computer. And finally, thanks to Shapeways, there's an affordable service so I can try it out!
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #1410 is a reply to message #1408 ] Wed, 24 September 2008 02:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Welcome! I can't wat to see what you come up with Smile

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #1504 is a reply to message #1408 ] Sun, 05 October 2008 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nllmavo  is currently offline nllmavo
Go to all my models
Hello Iikka
Hope you like our community! So small question.....I saw your name and the word art. So I thought... Yes! Some Finnish / Scandinavian art to see really soon at Shapeways. Then I saw Hi from Seattle. Whatever, the explanation, I have seen people from all over the globe Smile at Shapeways so we must be able to inspire each other!!
Bye
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #1525 is a reply to message #1504 ] Wed, 08 October 2008 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fingers  is currently offline Fingers
Go to my shop
Hi, I am originally from Finland (but have lived/worked in the US for several years). I don't know if there's anything particularly Finnish about my art though Smile
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #1526 is a reply to message #1525 ] Wed, 08 October 2008 18:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvicarious  is currently offline bvicarious
Go to my shop
Hi Iikka, I really enjoyed your Doom maps. Cool

[Updated on: Wed, 08 October 2008 23:49 UTC]

Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #1531 is a reply to message #1408 ] Wed, 08 October 2008 21:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Concept Visual  is currently offline Concept Visual
Go to all my models
Iikka- Welcome! I too am in Seattle- and while my education is in gaming I've implemented the technology in the architecture industry. I can't wait to see what you come up with- 3d printing is a pretty exciting technology, especially for those of us trained in 3d in the first place. Nod

Keep us updated on your experiences- I think the best way for us all to learn how to use this technology best is through eachother's experiences.

~Emmet
Principal
Concept Visual LLC
www.conceptvisual.net
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #1576 is a reply to message #1531 ] Thu, 16 October 2008 00:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
Welcome fellow seattlite Cool

BTW, a good portion of the shapeways development team live and work here too.
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #1820 is a reply to message #1576 ] Wed, 29 October 2008 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Concept Visual  is currently offline Concept Visual
Go to all my models
Quote:

BTW, a good portion of the shapeways development team live and work here too.

Really? Any talk of setting up production here as well? I'd be very interested to be involved...
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #1822 is a reply to message #1820 ] Wed, 29 October 2008 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
I don't know anything about the physical production side of the site. We just do the code here. It was my understanding that there is a production company(-ies) here in the US doing physical printing. You'd have to get a real answer from others (pete, bartv et al) on that.
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #6102 is a reply to message #1576 ] Thu, 27 August 2009 19:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar samuraidave_1  is currently offline samuraidave_1
Go to my shop
That is fantastic that shapeways is in my backyard!
My father was a machinist at the Boeing Wind tunnel and about 15 years ago he described the plastic cured by laser method of 3d printing to me. It is amazing that in a very short time that process is made available to everyone with a computer online.

I am impressed with the assortment of materials available. Smile
Re: Hi from Seattle WA [message #6108 is a reply to message #6102 ] Fri, 28 August 2009 03:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Boeing are still prolific users of SLS. You'd be surprised how many parts on some of their planes are made from the stuff.

Previous Topic:Fractal Geometry
Next Topic:Shapeways member says: Hi, from Venlo!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.