Home » Community » General Discussion » Anyone having trouble with scale today?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60902] Sun, 27 January 2013 16:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar Zeeflyboy  is currently offline Zeeflyboy
Go to my shop
I'm having a very strange problem... I uploaded some parts earlier today and they worked fine.

I went to upload some more parts just now and shapeways takes them as meters rather than mm. I checked my models and they are correct, I checked the .stl settings when I save and that is set to mm, I checked the shapeways drop down menu is set to mm and yet still it comes back and uploads in meters!

No idea what's going on.... first time I've had this problem and I've uploaded many many models previously.

EDIT - and I just updated a couple of models that previously updated fine - I get a note saying they were too big at the meter scale and have been changed to mm. Something is screwy for sure, but is it only me?

[Updated on: Sun, 27 January 2013 16:50 UTC]

Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60903 is a reply to message #60902 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Yes same issue here. Updating a previous model works fine though.
So I guess the work-around is to upload a very small model like a cube of 0.01x0.01x0.01mm and then to update it with the correct model.
Or you can wait for the bug to be fixed...

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60904 is a reply to message #60903 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 16:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I just updated two models and they were resized too - but due to their physical size they were changed from meters to mm which ends up correct anyway.

Hopefully they fix this soon, I'm not going to risk an order while the scale is messing around.

cheers
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60912 is a reply to message #60902 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 21:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
I know that for several file formats you have to set unit measurement at upload to the size you want printed, especially a stl but how do you set it to mm at save?

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60913 is a reply to message #60912 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 21:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
in my program when exporting my model as an .STL I can click options, then set the desired resoution settings and scale to mm etc.

I'm not sure it's strictly relevant, as it's still just "units" and if you choose inches when you upload then it'd end up in displaying those units as inches... but the option is there.

Anyway, since it's not just me clearly there's a bug in the shapeways system at the moment. For the record I'm still having issues with uploaded models but updating existing models appears to be working.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 January 2013 22:07 UTC]

Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60918 is a reply to message #60913 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 23:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
STL files don't have units -- they contain only triangles, there's no place to put anything else -- so any software that claims it's saving an STL "as" a certain unit is lying. STL units are set at upload time, not at save time.

That's why you have to tick the mm/inches/meters box when you upload to Shapeways: otherwise it truly has no way to know the size, because there are no units in the file.

I uploaded a file in the wee hours today (http://www.shapeways.com/model/892684/the-1-pendant.html, it's super silly) and it went fine. New model, not an update.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60919 is a reply to message #60918 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 23:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hence why I said I'm not sure it's strictly relevant lol. Thanks for confirming.

I too uploaded earlier today and it was fine, it's only since this afternoon that I've experienced trouble. The units selected when I upload are 100% for certain mm, but it then tells me it was too large so has been changed from meters to mm/inches depending on the model.

Could you try uploading a new model now to see if you get the same?
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60937 is a reply to message #60902 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 14:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I just tried this, and it uploaded as mm. Can you try again to verify the issue is still happening? And if so, what OS and browser?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60940 is a reply to message #60937 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 14:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just tried and it's still happening for me on new model uploads.

Using both OSX with safari and Windows 7 with IE. Scale is selected as mm from the drop down menu but it ends up trying to do it in meters, model is too big and ends up in inches.

This particular model is 20 "units" in diameter, as you can see from the link shapeways ends up making it 20 inches despite my selection of mm from the drop down menu when I upload. On other models that are bigger it changes the scale from meters to mm and ends up correct by an incorrect means.... like I say this problem only started for me on sunday afternoon - previously I never had a problem.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/894761/damiano_flir_pod_beari ng_mount.html

when I first enter the model page i get this message

"Attention

Your model was too big for the printer when using the meter scale
However, we scaled your model using the inches scale, now your model at 20.0 x 20.0 x 5.0 inches, or 50.80 x 50.80 x 12.70 cm can be printed!
If this is not the scale you intended, please rescale your model and re-upload."

By first uploading a part that gets converted by shapeways from meters to mm and then updating the file with the actual desired model I end up with a correctly scaled model....

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2013 14:51 UTC]

Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60941 is a reply to message #60902 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 14:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Can you email me the model, or post it up on this thread? I'll get someone to look into what's going on.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60942 is a reply to message #60902 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 14:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here's the .STL

as I say though it isn't just this model, it's every model I've tried to upload since sunday.... including ones that previously uploaded fine. I confirmed it by uploading another .stl from a few weeks ago which worked fine the first time I uploaded it back then and the same happens.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2013 14:57 UTC]

Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60943 is a reply to message #60902 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I realize that, but it helps to have a "this item does this" when figuring out what's going wrong.

Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60945 is a reply to message #60943 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
yeah sure, no problem - I just wanted to be clear it's happening across all models for me.

If you need anything else just shout.

cheers

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2013 14:59 UTC]

Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60946 is a reply to message #60902 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Alright verified that it happened to me as well, so I'll report it.

Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60947 is a reply to message #60946 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 15:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60951 is a reply to message #60947 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 15:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten is currently online MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

We have found the issue and are currently fixing this.

This will be fixed before the end of this day.

Our apologies for the inconvenience and confusion Smile

Cheers,
Mitchell

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #60971 is a reply to message #60951 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 17:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten is currently online MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey all,

The fix has been released Smile

Please let me know if you are still having these issues!

Mitchell

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Anyone having trouble with scale today? [message #61010 is a reply to message #60971 ] Tue, 29 January 2013 07:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
No, it is working properly now.
Thanks!

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:How to add mark up price to my product?
Next Topic:Can not be cleaned

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.