Home » Community » General Discussion » Help with size
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help with size [message #60852] Sat, 26 January 2013 18:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar transformersfang138  is currently offline transformersfang138
Go to my shop
I'm new to shapeways and I'm having an issue with my uploads. When I upload a model the dimensions are not what I had originally put. I have a model that is 2.5 in long but after the upload it is 6.2 in long. Does anyone know what's going on or how to fix it. I am using Autodesk inventor and uploading in STL format.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Help with size [message #60853 is a reply to message #60852 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 19:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
What are all the dimensions x, y & z ? It may be that the model is in a defferent orientation to what's expected.
You might need to rescale the model before uploading to Shapeways.

Paul

Re: Help with size [message #60854 is a reply to message #60852 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 19:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to all my models
You have uploaded as inches instead of centimetres.

Bill Bedford
Re: Help with size [message #60855 is a reply to message #60854 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 19:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
^^^
Bill got it
Re: Help with size [message #60856 is a reply to message #60852 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
You need to post the measurement option you chose at upload, and if at all possible the exact dimensions in you modelling program and a stl. We should figure out the problem at a glance. I am curious the exact dimensions SW had for it, I think a scaling problem is involved. if that dimension you gave was 6.35.The infamous 2.54 factor might be involved.

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Help with size [message #60857 is a reply to message #60852 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 19:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
In edit mode for the model it now has original bounding box dimensions and oriented bounding box dimensions, thank goodness!!! Laughing

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Help with size [message #60858 is a reply to message #60857 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 19:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It seems to be when I converted the file it only saves the cm dimensions and when I upload there is only options for inches (which is what I designed in originally), millimeters and meters. so if I scale everything up it should come out right.
Re: Help with size [message #60859 is a reply to message #60852 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 20:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
upload in meters, I figured it out.

Keith

Keith
Re: Help with size [message #60879 is a reply to message #60859 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 03:08 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out, I have figured out the issue and have had no further problems.
Again thanks.

Previous Topic:Lego Style Snap Together Pieces
Next Topic:How to add mark up price to my product?