Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Case design for RC Model Stabilizer Product
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Case design for RC Model Stabilizer Product [message #60789] Fri, 25 January 2013 19:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar latentspark  is currently offline latentspark
Go to all my models
I am looking for a 3D designer to help in the drawing and prototyping of two light-weight but sturdy cases for an inertial stabilizer for model airplanes. The two cases would be needed to fit two variants of the same board. One variant of the board would have 3 potentiometers on it for adjustment while the other would not, allowing the case to be much thinner in places. The job would involve designing the cases for injection-mold fabrication, but hopefully iterating through 3D printing.

To preface this, we have had some experience with case manufacturing before. Internally, we don't have any mechanical engineers by trade but we do have a little 3D printing and manufacturing experience between us. Feedback on all design points in terms of look, feel and manufacturability are very welcome!

Our hope is to make a snap-top case that will encapsulate our PCB without requiring screws, but still hold the PCB very firmly to help mitigate vibration. In light of this, the PCB should also be easy to snap into the case for assembly. The snap top should be simple to secure as well, but should require a screwdriver or similar to remove. Please see the attached drawing for concept details.

Finally, due to the vibration and orientation sensitive nature of the product, I would ask that in addition to being held down by snaps, the PCB should have a mold of its underside worked into the case to accommodate its bottom components and keep it perfectly level relative to the bottom of the case.

I've done my best to illustrate the design in the attached images. If you end up working on this project, I'll send you a dimensions-correct replica for all sizing needs and of course will be happy to fill in any missing details.

Thanks so much for your time!
John Thomson

Re: Case design for RC Model Stabilizer Product [message #60829 is a reply to message #60789 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 06:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bplemmons  is currently offline bplemmons
Go to all my models
Hello,

We would be interested in your project. Would you be able to provide a sample board so we can get all of the dimensions and test the fit?

Please contact me at billplemmons@yahoo.com

Thanks Bill
Re: Case design for RC Model Stabilizer Product [message #61051 is a reply to message #60829 ] Wed, 30 January 2013 02:05 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bplemmons  is currently offline bplemmons
Go to all my models
I just sent you a PM with pictures.....

Bill

Previous Topic:Modeler needed for adjustments to an OBJ file
Next Topic:Small scale models of heavy equipment

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.