Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Stainless Dice Questions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stainless Dice Questions [message #41696] Wed, 11 January 2012 19:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar Titeman  is currently offline Titeman
Go to all my models
I just received my stainless steel D&D dice. They look great but have what look like large grains wedged in some of the spaces. Is there a technique for getting these out or is it just the nature of the system.

Also is it safe to assume the SS is waterproof? I do plan on using these in D&D...

*Edit: Got my answer from the guy who designed the dice.*

[Updated on: Wed, 11 January 2012 22:46 UTC]

Re: Stainless Dice Questions [message #42138 is a reply to message #41696 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 18:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar avandius  is currently offline avandius
Go to my shop
Hello Titeman,

That's a normal process, there are various ways to clean them out. I use a very thin needle and poke them all out. They are also waterproof and can be washed to your hearts content.

There is likely a better way to clean them up with some sort of solvent, but for now, I recommend using a needle. Smile

Cheers,
Gythawen

http://twitter.com/#!/avandius - There is no right way to create something, modeling is all about deceiving reality.
Re: Stainless Dice Questions [message #60634 is a reply to message #41696 ] Thu, 24 January 2013 01:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar originalsilver  is currently offline originalsilver
Go to my shop
What was the answer? I have 8 prints to clean & the needle approach is super slow going. Thx!
Re: Stainless Dice Questions [message #60643 is a reply to message #60634 ] Thu, 24 January 2013 03:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hello originalsilver,

I still use the needle, here are some additional options:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5042

Thanks for your business. Smile

Seth

http://twitter.com/#!/avandius - There is no right way to create something, modeling is all about deceiving reality.
Re: Stainless Dice Questions [message #60695 is a reply to message #41696 ] Thu, 24 January 2013 18:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mhagan  is currently offline Mhagan
Go to my shop
I work here
I have had a good bit of success using a set of dental picks. If you are not a DIY nut like me and don't have a set, they can be had for around 5$ from Amazon

3D Printing Engineer | Shapeways
Re: Stainless Dice Questions [message #60710 is a reply to message #60695 ] Thu, 24 January 2013 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm going to check that out! Too many hand cramps from the needle method..

Re: Stainless Dice Questions [message #60873 is a reply to message #60710 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 00:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar originalsilver  is currently offline originalsilver
Go to my shop
Thx loads for the answers! I'll try the dentist pick next time to try to spare my fingers!
Re: Stainless Dice Questions [message #62230 is a reply to message #60873 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 09:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Dental pick... Good idea. I am still using needle. See this video...

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Stainless Dice Questions [message #66529 is a reply to message #62230 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 16:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Yes, this is a real PITA!
What you are seeing on/in your parts is actually a specially treated, ground corn cob . It produces the final high shine on all SS parts. The finishing machinery generates a high pressure tumbling action and there is no way around having some cob residue finding it's way into tight crevices. There is no "solvent" for this that would not also attack the metal (in a bad way) in fact any liquid will make things worse because the cob expands when wet. Try a #10 Exacto blade, better than a needle or dental pick.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Brazing a 3D stainless product?
Next Topic:A new way to smooth WSF?