Home » Support » 3D Applications » Using Inventor and Help for a Newbie !
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Using Inventor and Help for a Newbie ! [message #60561] Wed, 23 January 2013 08:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar Helijenks  is currently offline Helijenks
Go to my shop
Hiya Guys
I am a UK based self taught Autodesk Inventor user and have made many 3D models of part for Radio control Helicopter and as such i am not familiar with all the "tech-speak", my questions are ...

Can I submit parts to build in Inventor format and if so - what is the minimum tolerance for moving parts in an assembly. (.iam) Shocked
Can I submit single parts only ? - Not requiring any assembly
what materials (plastic type) can I specify for my parts
If I have a complicated assembly that will require building - who designs the assembly method, me or you guys - this is not a dumb question because you may have preferred assembly methods

I really look forward to hearing back from you and working with you Guys in the future

Cheers
Chris
Laughing Laughing
Re: Using Inventor and Help for a Newbie ! [message #60574 is a reply to message #60561 ] Wed, 23 January 2013 14:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
1) You can submit files in any one of these formats: STL, VRML2/97 (.wrl), COLLADA (.dae), X3D and OBJ Check this page http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/supported-applications for a list of known applications that can create such files.

2) Of course you can submit single parts. The only downside to this is that it is rather tricky for a customer to purchase groups of items. The tool for you to build a "group" of items for sale is still a bit wonky. Be aware.. for some of the materials, there are minimum volume requirements, but I doubt you'll run into that.

3) Check the Materials page. WSF is another name for Nylon PA22 and it's quite strong, but not as strong as "solid" PA22. FineDetailPlastic is not quite as strong.. parts would have to be thicker. FrostedDetailPlastic is very brittle when thin, but suprisingly strong when thick (above 1.5mm thick)

4) Assembly instructions are your own responsibility

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Non-Manifold problems in Blender
Next Topic:Specifying Dimensions in Blender

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.