Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Work in progress » Mob-Tor (Moebius Torus)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mob-Tor (Moebius Torus) [message #60482] Mon, 21 January 2013 22:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi all,

I wanted to redo pendants based on marbles such as the double-marble pendant for instance: I like the idea of mixing common existing objects with 3D printed models.

I came up with the Moebius Torus, that I caled Mob-Tor to have something shorter.
The idea is to put a number of marbles (for instance 3) into a torus, so that they can revolve inside it. To do that you have to cut this torus into two and keep only one half. I cut it a "twisted" way, like in a Moebius ring.
Here is a rendering of the half Mob-Tor to understand better:
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_880498_767947_1358796517.jpg
The result is similar to the Twin Rail Mobius Pendant of Stop4Stuff or the One ring to pwn the ball of TerraCotta. These models are quite famous so I guess they have inspired me. The marbles are forced to move into "tunnels" like the first one (at least partially) and move along a simple circle like the second (see the video).
This is still a prototype, I don't even know if the marbles will stay inside the model without falling (or if at the contrary they could not be inserted). So perhaps some adjustements are needed.

I also plan to have the two halves printed along with 3 marbles to get the Mob-Tor with marbles:
http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_882280_767933_1358796160.jpg
Here it is easier to see the original torus. Once again, I have to test if this model is really stable or if the marbles will be easy to move.

Any comment is welcomed.
Thanks!

[Updated on: Wed, 06 February 2013 23:06 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Mob-Tor (Moebius Torus) [message #60556 is a reply to message #60482 ] Wed, 23 January 2013 03:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Very cleaver design! I see how you've removed the unnecessary parts of the torus while still leaving enough to capture the spheres. Maybe you'll have the next big captured spheres design! As a suggestion, I'd find out what the common sizes are for undrilled spherical beads and then make a corresponding Mob-Tor for each common size.

Maker of precision scrap! :p
Re: Mob-Tor (Moebius Torus) [message #60559 is a reply to message #60556 ] Wed, 23 January 2013 06:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Thank you!
I kept a contact of 60° on each side of the marble, with a clearance of 0.5mm. I hope this will be enough. For the half Mob-Tor, I could make those angles larger (say, until 90°) or reduce the clearance since the marbles will not be printed.
Currently the pendant is planned for 5/8" marbles (16mm) which should be quite standard for glass marbles (at least, this is the size of those I got from when I was a kid Very Happy ).

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2013 06:51 UTC]

Re: Mob-Tor (Moebius Torus) [message #61487 is a reply to message #60559 ] Wed, 06 February 2013 19:50 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
It arrived!

Previous Topic:Infinite Worlds Pendant
Next Topic:Dragon Skull Pendant

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.