Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60334] Thu, 17 January 2013 03:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar Lascar  is currently offline Lascar
Go to all my models

3D modeling bit site[ 5 vote(s) ]
1.I'd use it for every job 2 / 40%
2.Would be nice for price and complexity discovery 0 / 0%
3.I prefer to work with specific company design departments 0 / 0%
4.I'm my own modeler and product creator 2 / 40%
5.Using simple forum/email/classifieds is good enough 1 / 20%

Hello, everybody.

I've been working on a product idea which lands itself very nicely with 3DP process. However I'm facing some engineering challenges.

Does any one know of a site/service similar to 99designs bidding system only for professional 3D printed products modelers/engineers? Google does not seem to be helpful.

Also, I'm curious if there were such a place - how useful would that be to this community? If you have 10 seconds, I'd appreciate you taking the attached poll.

Thank you guys.

Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60336 is a reply to message #60334 ] Thu, 17 January 2013 03:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tjsolo  is currently offline Tjsolo
Go to my shop
Let me know if you find a site

Tj Solo
Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60376 is a reply to message #60334 ] Fri, 18 January 2013 02:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Free Lancers

Tj Solo
Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60415 is a reply to message #60376 ] Fri, 18 January 2013 22:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar EricLopez  is currently offline EricLopez
Go to my shop
PeoplePerHour
Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60448 is a reply to message #60334 ] Sun, 20 January 2013 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar codexehow  is currently offline codexehow
Go to all my models
It wouldn't work. 3D modelling takes too long to do on spec.

www.tommycharlesportfolio.com
Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60449 is a reply to message #60448 ] Sun, 20 January 2013 18:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I disagree, I have done a few on specs, calculate the time I think it will take me to do it, and charge that way.

Tj Solo
Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60454 is a reply to message #60449 ] Sun, 20 January 2013 21:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
What I mean is, no one is going to do 3D modelling in the 99designs format. No one is going to spend 6-12 hours on a model when dozens of other people are building the same model for the change at the same prize. It's silly.

Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60455 is a reply to message #60454 ] Sun, 20 January 2013 21:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
True, to a point. Depending on the model and its difficulty I am sure some wouldn't but I do it. and it pays off Elance is the best site I think. there are now like 30 or 50 jobs posted a day for 3d modeling .. If its a simple one , I will bid on it. usually the ones that wanted something modeled to be print ready.
So its already being done. And maybe its just me, I can can actually create a 3d model a lot faster than creating a 2d image in photoshop. so for me its worth it.

Tj Solo
icon14.gif  Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60776 is a reply to message #60455 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 17:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FabMeJewelry  is currently offline FabMeJewelry
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I think it would work just fine.

About 75% of the 3DPrinted models are designed in a few hours while thinking up a good design often takes much more time.

For a designer with enough experience it won't be that difficult to calculate the time it would take to design something and see if it's worth it.

I see it as a contest just like the iphone5 contest here on shapeways, many have designed the same thing and only a few get sales.
Who dous'nt like competing with others? it's all we do in life !

Wesley Günter - FabMeJewelry.com - Set a course, for the future !
Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60777 is a reply to message #60776 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 17:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
What a silly thing to say. 3D models take hours and hours to produce, especially if you expect them to print faithfully. If you're thinking of getting anything sculpted in Zbrush by a real artist, forget about it.

What you will get with a site like that is a bunch of 3D artist wannabes. Yes, people will do it, but the work will be sub-par. Have you ever seen those free 3D model download sites? That's the quality that this will attract. No professional is going to waste their time in what amounts to a crap-shoot contest.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 January 2013 18:00 UTC]

Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60778 is a reply to message #60777 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 18:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Look at some of the things in my shop. yes some took hours to create while others just an hour. The software, or software's that I use make them print ready with a few clicks after modeling. Sorry but I have made plenty of money and still doing so and all my clients are happy with what they get. Like I said yes some models take hours, sometimes days depending on the complexity. I mentioned that before. But there are a lot more that I can get done in say an hours time. Maybe I m just that good Wink

Tj Solo
Re: CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers? [message #60779 is a reply to message #60777 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 18:04 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Maybe you need to update the software you are using, just a thought

Tj Solo

Previous Topic:Need an inch head design
Next Topic:looking for modeller for a project.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.