Home » Community » General Discussion » $30 egg holder
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
$30 egg holder [message #60239] Tue, 15 January 2013 03:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar wally  is currently offline wally
Go to all my models
Is it me or is it kind of ridiculous that the eggbot cost that much. Why are such tiny things so expensive? And really, $7 dollars to ship it?
When is the price of a lot of these materials going to come down. Or is it the lack of machines and the cost of them....
I'm just wonderin'. I love coming back to shapeways to see what people are doing, I just can't bring myself to buy 1.5" plastic inception top and pay $7 to ship it.
Re: $30 egg holder [message #60258 is a reply to message #60239 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 14:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
If you get one tiny item, yea $7 seems extreme, but that $7 is a flat rate. So If you order 5 UPS trucks worth of prints, it's still $7. The material prices will come down, as demand rises, we can get more machines and be more proficient, lowering costs.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: $30 egg holder [message #60270 is a reply to message #60239 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 20:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mygadgetlife  is currently offline mygadgetlife
Go to my shop
Speaking as the creator of Eggbot, yep it is a lot of dough for a small ceramic object.

I could knock a couple of dollars off my markup... then what? A price not much more attractive to potential buyers, and a far slower way to make a little profit.

And while I'm glad - as an amateur designer - that Eggbot is popular and liked by my fellow Shapies, since late November I've sold enough to cover the costs of, well, the production and shipping of just one of the two I've had made for proof of concept and photography purposes.

Any 3D printed items from Shapeways will cost more than if they were mass produced... but not much more. Perhaps you'd pay $10 for a mass produced Eggbot in a boutique store? For only $30 you get an Eggbot which is a fairly unique, made to order item. As of now, there are fewer than a dozen Eggbots in the world. Pretty unique and cheap for $30 I'd say.

mygadgetlife.blogspot.co.uk
Re: $30 egg holder [message #60271 is a reply to message #60270 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Hush! The emperor has VERY NICE clothes.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: $30 egg holder [message #60273 is a reply to message #60271 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 22:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Plus, it'd cost you a LOT more than $7 to drive to New York or Eindhoven and pick it up in person.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Printing height with White Strong and Flexible
Next Topic:New Plastic Colours?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.