Home » Community » General Discussion » Sprues Spruesss
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sprues Spruesss [message #60155] Sun, 13 January 2013 21:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar luisrrey  is currently offline luisrrey
Go to all my models
Would appreciate the help in understanding how to add sprues or spruess ( Not sure about the spelling) to an assembly stl file to turn it into a single unit so that 3D printing is possible. Thank you.

Louis
Re: Sprues Spruesss [message #60157 is a reply to message #60155 ] Sun, 13 January 2013 22:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Making part trees, or sprues is a great solution. There are several ways to do this. I have posted video tutorials that give an overview of one method, along with an intro to some of the free tools often used in 3D printing. This is not everything, but it should get you up and running.

Model Grouping for 3D Printing Part 1 - Meshlab

Model Grouping for 3D Printing Part 2 - SketchUp

Model Grouping for 3D Printing Part 3 - Blender

If you'd like to learn more, there are other tutorials (moslty for SketchUp) available on my YouTube channel, 40wdmedia, and I teach classes about 3D printing through Skillshare. Those classes are usually in NY, and sometimes on the west coast (LA/SF), but an online version is in the works.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Sprues Spruesss [message #60167 is a reply to message #60157 ] Mon, 14 January 2013 03:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar luisrrey  is currently offline luisrrey
Go to all my models
Thank you Aaron for your reply> Very helpful.

I would like to send you a copy of my file. Please let me know what email address to use.

Thanks again,

Louis
Re: Sprues Spruesss [message #60236 is a reply to message #60167 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 01:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Sure, I'll take a look at it. PM sent.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Sprues Spruesss [message #60465 is a reply to message #60155 ] Mon, 21 January 2013 13:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KenAndrews  is currently offline KenAndrews
Go to my shop
How do you tell / how do you decide how big a sprue should be?

I have a bunch of small (30 mm x 25 mm x 7 mm) items. I put them together as one STL. Before exporting the STL I connected them with a sprue, but is there any way to determine *before* printing it, how thick the sprue should be? Currently I'm finding out by trial and error.
Re: Sprues Spruesss [message #60467 is a reply to message #60465 ] Mon, 21 January 2013 14:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
I find 1mm works well pieces like these

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:3d Printed Soundwave (dynamic)
Next Topic:Price discrepancy in models vs. shop

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.