Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Model Preview -- upside down and backwards
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model Preview -- upside down and backwards [message #60126] Sun, 13 January 2013 13:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar lanceatkins  is currently offline lanceatkins
Go to my shop
Hi guys,

I'm building in SolidWorks and exporting files as .STL

Surely someone else has run into this... All my uploaded models then appear upside down and backwards... basically the least logical 'orientation' for my model preview to be generated in. Is there an easy way to fix this in Shapeways... or I guess I'll just have to convert my axes in SolidWorks? Any experiences help.
Re: Model Preview -- upside down and backwards [message #60140 is a reply to message #60126 ] Sun, 13 January 2013 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Oh yes, I believe a few have gone through this problem.(cackles). SW's idea of which axis is up, forward differs from some programs. You have two options to remedy this quirk,
1. replace the SW display render with another image of your model,
2..Just experiment and find out what axis in your program correlates with SW's axis,then rotate you model. In Blender its z axis is Shapeways Y(up). it's -y axis is Sw's +X axis(forward). For a stl.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Model Preview -- upside down and backwards [message #60146 is a reply to message #60126 ] Sun, 13 January 2013 19:26 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
In your software, take a screen shot or render of the model's orientation you wish the model to be viewed in and upload that, then set the image as the default image.

Tith the default render, it doesn't matter which orientation your model is displayed in as when printed, the model is orientated to best fit the build platform.

Paul

Previous Topic:Shapeways Tools script for Blender
Next Topic:Cant get ceramic option!