Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » General Discussion » Stainless steel strength for trophy
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stainless steel strength for trophy [message #59909] Wed, 09 January 2013 14:58 UTC Go to next message
avatar aavasaris  is currently offline aavasaris
Go to all my models
I have a model that will be used as a trophy mounted in a block of wood. The model has two legs that are approximately 3/16" square. If mounted vertically into the wood, will it be strong or very brittle and subject to breakage? I don't want it snapping off if bumped or dropped. Need to know before ordering. I have already printed the plastic version.
Re: Stainless steel strength for trophy [message #59938 is a reply to message #59909 ] Wed, 09 January 2013 21:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
How long is a piece of string?

3/16" square - is that a square with 3/16" sides, or that the total area of the footprint of each leg?
What do those legs support?

3/16" (4.7625mm) cross section or wall thickness is quite robust, but it does depend on what kind of mass needs to be supported, not only for the finished model but also for the 'green' state during the printing process.

Paul

Re: Stainless steel strength for trophy [message #59941 is a reply to message #59938 ] Wed, 09 January 2013 22:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aavasaris  is currently offline aavasaris
Go to all my models
I don't need your sarcasm. I'm new to this. My question is simple. If I stuck a 3/16" square piece of what Shapeways calls "stainless steel" in a block of wood, could you snap it off easily with your hands, or does it have more strength than that?
Re: Stainless steel strength for trophy [message #59942 is a reply to message #59941 ] Wed, 09 January 2013 22:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I was not being sarcastic Shocked

If you would like a reasonable and accurate answer to your question then you really should provide more facts about the structure of your model and what you are trying to achieve.

A cube with 3/16" sides is pretty much indestructable, a 2 foot rod of the same cross section will break without much effort at all.

You have questions about Shapeways materials, give us more information and we may be able to understand your vision and help you.

Pau;
Re: Stainless steel strength for trophy [message #59962 is a reply to message #59909 ] Thu, 10 January 2013 09:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
We have done several of these and they are rock-solid.

The material is more brittle than normal steel and very thin (2 mm) unsupported wires may break when you throw them on the floor.
index.php?t=getfile&id=25381&private=0

• Attachment: cg1.jpg
    (Size: 277.90KB, Downloaded 50 time(s))

Previous Topic:New Guy
Next Topic:Bending, Painting and Sealing questions